Baked Gnocchi With Summer Vegetables
Fall might be just around the corner but the beautiful summer produce are still at season's peak. Baked Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables gives you the warm and cozy comfort of the fall combined with all of the fresh flavors of summer.
There is something magic about the ease of sheet pan dinners, such as Sheet Pan Tortellini alla Norma. Not only do they make for easy clean up, but their quick cook times also make them ideal for any night of the week.
Whether you have garden zucchini you need to use up or have stopped by your local farmer's market, Baked Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables is an easy and delicious way to celebrate the flavors and color of the season.
- Gnocchi - Use your favorite brand but pick a fresh variety. You will find these in the refrigerated section of your grocery store, usually with the fresh pesto, alfredo, and parmesan.
- Olive Oil - This is the base of the marinade that coats all of the vegetables and gnocchi and helps them roast.
- Dried Oregano - This aromatic herb brings bright flavor with a slightly minty back note.
- Dried Basil - Dried basil goes into the marinade while fresh basil is used to reinforce the light licorice flavor at the end.
- Black Pepper
- Garlic - Garlic adds an aromatic and sharp kick to the marinade that sweetens as it roasts.
- Fresh Tomatoes - The natural sweetness of the tomatoes intensifies as they roast while they slump down and add texture to every bite.
- Zucchini - This mild and sweet staple of summer is a canvas for the fresh and herbaceous marinade.
- Red Onion - Adds a pop of color, sweetness, and a savory note.
- Mozzarella Bocconcini - These small balls of mozzarella easily melt into ooey, gooey, molten delicious bites.
- Fresh Basil - The fresh basil finishes off this dish and reinforces the flavors in the marinade. A little sweet and deeply aromatic it adds an herbaceous and verdant pop of flavor.
- Parmesan - A little nutty and salty, parmesan finishes off this bright and colorful dish.
How to Make Baked Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables
Get out your sheet pan and preheat your oven. This is the ultimate one dish wonder.
Time needed: 55 minutes.
- PrepPreheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut your vegetables into fairly even sized chunks.
- ShakeAdd all of your ingredients for the marinade to a jar and tightly close the lid. Give it a vigorous shake until it's combined.
DressSpread the gnocchi and vegetables out onto a baking sheet in an even layer. Pour the marinade over the gnocchi and vegetables and toss so they are all evenly coated.
RoastAllow the gnocchi and vegetables to roast for 30-40 minutes or until the gnocchi are golden and the vegetables slightly wilted, tender, and charred.
Cheese PleaseIn the last few minutes of baking add your mozzarella. Allow it to melt.
Finishing TouchSprinkle fresh basil and parmesan over the top. Enjoy!
The zucchini in this recipe can be replaces with other vegetables such as yellow summer squash or eggplant. Cut them in similar sized chunks as the onions and tomatoes.
- Spicy - If you like things spicy, add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes to your marinade.
- Sausage - Make this dish even heartier with the addition of Italian sausage.
- Shrimp - Add shrimp to the sheet pan in the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Gluten Free - Replace the traditional gnocchi in this dish with cauliflower gnocchi for a gluten free option.
Make sure to pick a sheet pan that allows the gnocchi and vegetables to spread out in a single layer. This will allow the vegetables to roast instead of steam.
The leftovers make for a delicious and easy lunch. Keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Top Tip for Baked Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables
This hearty and colorful dish is all about the texture as much as the flavors. Cut your vegetables into fairly similar sizes. This will allow them all to cook evenly without fear of some over cooking and some remaining less cooked.
Baked Gnocchi With Summer Vegetables
- ▢ 12 oz fresh gnocchi
- ▢ 1/2 cup olive oil
- ▢ 1 tsp dried oregano
- ▢ 1 tsp dried basil
- ▢ 1 tbsp salt
- ▢ 1/2 tsp black pepper
- ▢ 2 garlic cloves, grated
- ▢ 3-4 tomatoes, quartered
- ▢ 2 zucchini, chopped medium
- ▢ 1 red onion, sliced
- ▢ mozzarella bocconcini
- ▢ fresh basil, for topping
- ▢ parmesan, for toping
- ▢ Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- ▢ Spread the gnocchi and vegetables onto a sheet pan.
- ▢ Add the olive oil, salt, pepper, dried herbs, and garlic to a mason jar. Cover it and shake to combine.
- ▢ Pour the marinade over the gnocchi and vegetables. Toss them so they are evenly coated.
- ▢ Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- ▢ When the gnocchi and vegetables are almost done add the bocconcini and allow it to melt.
- ▢ Top with fresh basil and parmesan when ready to serve.