Vegan dish that is perfect for the summer
I’ve only started to experiment with different grains in the past year or so. Before that we only ever ate wheat and rice, but in my quest to try and expose my toddler to as many consistencies and flavours as possible, I went out and bought pearl barley, spelt and millet. I then got home and started wondering what the heck to do with these. After a few failures I came up with this simple salad, which was a hit and I make quite often in the summer. This is very much a basic recipe, that anyone can personalise, especially if you need to use up some leftover veggies from the fridge!
It’s a bit of a longer recipe than others that I usually make and that I’ve posted before, as pearl barley does take a while to cook, but the good news is that you can definitely make it in advance as it’s nicer cold anyhow. When I have to make these longer dishes I usually prepare them the night before, when the kids are asleep and whilst I am watching TV. So the next day I don’t have to worry about it anymore.
- 1 cup unboiled Pearl Barley
- 1 Onion
- 2 Carrot
- 1 Courgette
- 1 Aubergine
- 2 Potatoes
- 1 pepper
- A handful of pine nuts
- Optional: a couple of tablespoons of vegan mayo
- Cook the pearl barley in plenty of salted water for about 1 hour, until soft.
- Whilst that is boiling, chop the veg, then start by cooking the carrot an the onion in some olive oil until softened.
- Add all the other veg and the potatoes, and cook until they are all ready. I like them not too soft, so I turn off the hob when they still have a bit of a bite.
- Once the veg and pearl barley are ready, mix together, add a drizzle of olive oil, the juice of 1 lemon, the pine nuts and salt to taste. Leave to cool down (put in the fridge if leaving overnight).
- Serve cold with a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise mixed in if you like the extra creaminess.