I love the light and fresh flavors of the Mediterranean diet. And the fact that it is such a heart healthy lifestyle is an added bonus.
Last week, I decided to try this Mediterranean Shrimp recipe from wellplated.com last week and it was delicious! It is a simple, one pan dish that can be ready in 30min or less. The roasted tomatoes, feta, olives and artichoke hearts give this dish blast of flavor.
I tweaked the recipe a bit by adding kale for extra nutrients, replacing the red wine vinegar with white balsamic vinegar, eliminating the red pepper flakes and adding dried basil.
I hope you and your family love this delicious and healthy Mediterranean dish as much as Ido!
This Mediterranean shrimp dish is packed with flavors and nutrients.
Kale is a nutrient powerhouse giving this recipe a boost of vitamin A, vitamin K, folate and omega-3 fatty acids.
The fire roasted tomatoes add a blast of flavor to the dish.
Artichoke hearts and olives give the dish a slightly salty flavor.
Serve Mediterranean Shrimp over brown rice, quinoa, or with a slice of healthy whole wheat bread.
- 1 lb. large frozen or fresh shrimp (deveined, peeled, with tails off), thawed
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups fresh kale, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Minced garlic
- 1, 14.5oz can of fire roasted tomatoes in their juices
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp. White balsamic vinegar
- 1, 14oz can artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 3/4-1 crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pat shrimp dry and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large, oven proof skillet (i used a cast iron), heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add kale and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add tomatoes, oregano, and basil. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the white balsamic vinegar and honey. Remove from heat.
- Scatter artichokes and olives over top and then add the shrimp on top in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and bake for 15 minutes. Shrimp should be cooked through and feta slightly browned. Squeeze lemon juice over top and serve.
- Serve over brown rice, quinoa, or with crusty bread.