Pistachio Praline Ice Cream (No Churn Vegan Ice Cream Recipe)
Learn how to make a vegan pistachio ice cream without an ice cream maker. This dairy free pistachio praline ice cream has a smooth and creamy texture with a delicious praline crunch. It’s flavored naturally with pistachio nuts for the perfect summer treat! If you’ve been looking for the best vegan ice cream recipe to make as a delicious summer dessert, then you’ll love how easy this no churn vegan treat is to make.
Vegan Pistachio Praline Ice Cream
This non-dairy ice cream recipe is one of my favorites. It is delicious and it’s easy to make. As this is a no churn vegan ice cream recipe, you don’t need an ice cream machine to whip up a tasty batch.
I only make this vegan ice cream recipe once or twice a year, so I haven’t invested in an ice cream machine. However, if you have an ice cream maker, I also have directions for you to make this pistachio ice cream recipe without eggs in a machine.
What is the Actual Flavor of Pistachio Ice Cream?
If you’ve had a vegan pistachio ice cream before, it probably tasted like almonds. That’s because many pistachio ice cream recipes call for almond extract or almond bitter to enhance the natural pistachio flavor. However, I do not use almond extract in my pistachio ice cream recipe without eggs. Rather I rely on the flavor of the pistachios to carry this dessert recipe.
This easy vegan ice cream recipe has a rich flavor that tastes like creamed pistachios. It boasts a nutty flavor similar to that of softened cold pistachios. I do use some vanilla extract for flavor. However, I find that the vanilla extract enhances the nutty flavor in this summer recipe without covering it up.
What is Vegan Ice Cream Made Of?
Vegan ice cream is typically made using coconut milk blended with cashews. However, other types of plant based milk can also be used. To create my recipe, I use canned coconut milk and cashews to make my vegan pistachio ice cream then made a pistachio praline to mix in for extra flavor.
When making dairy free ice cream, I recommend using a full fat coconut for a rich pistachio praline ice cream. While the water will crystalize, the fat gives this no church vegan ice cream a wonderfully creamy texture. You can also use almond milk, oat milk or soy milk to make a vegan ice cream recipe.
How is Vegan Ice Cream Made?
This vegan pistachio ice cream is made just like traditional ice cream. You can use the same ingredients to make a no churn vegan ice cream recipe or make this frozen treat using an ice cream maker.
Tips for Making Vegan Ice Cream Without an Ice Cream Maker
These tips will help you get creamy vegan ice cream recipe without a machine:
- Use a full fat can of coconut milk. Water will crystalize, so this is an important tip for making the best vegan ice cream recipe. Do not use coconut milk powder because it will be too watery.
- You can also use a vegan yogurt in place of the coconut milk to make a pistachio ice cream recipe without an ice cream maker. Use the same amount.
- After you make your ice cream base, place it in the fridge for several hours or overnight. The longer you let it sit, the creamier your pistachio ice cream recipe without eggs will be.
- Don’t rush soaking the cashews. Make sure they soak overnight, so plan ahead to make this easy vegan ice cream recipe.
- Cover your ice cream as it’s freezing and once it is frozen. Otherwise, it may form ice crystals on top.
- If you want green vegan pistachio ice cream, add some green food coloring to the blender when mixing the base ingredients.
- You can break up the praline by roughly chopping it with a knife if you don’t have a food processor.
- Since this coconut milk vegan ice cream recipe doesn’t have a stabilizer, you can add 2 to 3 tablespoons of cornstarch if desired. Cornstarch locks in the water and prevents it from forming large ice crystals, which gives your no churn pistachio ice cream a creamier texture.
8. Finally, place the pistachio praline ice cream in the freezer for 2 to 4 hours, or until frozen. You can also freeze overnight. Then simply scoop, serve and enjoy!
Tip: Most no churn ice cream recipes call for you to whisk or stir the ice cream every 20 minutes once placing in the freezer to stir the ice cream. This helps to keep it creamy and prevents it from getting icy. However, this step is optional and not necessary for this no churn pistachio cream recipe.
Pistachio Praline Ice Cream (No Churn Vegan Ice Cream Recipe)
Vegan Ice Cream Ingredients
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 Cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- ¼ Cup raw sugar
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pistachio Praline Ingredients
- ⅔ Cup raw sugar
- 3 Tablespoons water
- ⅔ Cup unsalted pistachios
How to Make No Churn Vegan Ice Cream
- To make this vegan ice cream recipe with an ice cream maker, first soak cashews in water overnight. Then wash and drain the soaked cashews and place them in a blender. Add the canned coconut milk, raw sugar, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Prepare a deep mold, such as a bread loaf pan, by lining it with parchment paper.
- Pour in the pistachio ice cream recipe without eggs. Then place the non-dairy ice cream in the fridge for four hours up to overnight.
Make the Pistachio Praline
- In the meantime you can make the pistachio praline. To do this, you’ll need to make caramel. Add the raw sugar and water to a small saucepan. Then cook over medium heat until it turns light brown and starts to thicken, stirring often.
- Prepare a cookie sheet by covering it with parchment paper. Line it with pistachios. Then pour the prepared caramel sauce over the pistachios to cover them. Let harden for 20-30 minutes.
- Once the pistachio praline is hardened, use a spatula to remove it from the pan. Break up and use a food processor to blend until it’s broken up.
- Spread the praline over the refrigerated ice cream mixture and swirl it. You can also reserve some praline to use as a topping if you want.
- Now place the pistachio praline ice cream in the freezer for 2 to 4 hours, or until frozen.
- If desired, you can whisk this coconut milk ice cream every 20 minutes once you place it in the freezer to help prevent if from becoming icy. However, this step is optional.
- To make this coconut milk vegan pistachio ice cream recipe using an ice cream machine, simply make the ice cream portion and place it in your ice cream maker. Then add the pistachio praline during the last few minutes or after it is done churning. Stir well to combine.