Chenna poda (Baked cheese) is among the most popular sweet dish of Odisha. Traditionally it is made with fresh chenna which is then kneaded warm. Then sugar or Jaggery, ghee, cashew, raisins, suji, chenna water added to the kneaded chenna...well rested for 5 to 10 mins for the suji to get set properly. Banana leaf is greased with ghee and then the batter is wrapped with the leaf and baked in traditional oven. But you can easily baked it without banana leaf and on gas stove as well.
The process is same like you bake a cake on the gas stove, only it takes little longer time to bake like almost 1 hr 10 mins or may be little more. The flavour comes from the perfect caramelization of sugar, the dense burnt taste of the caramelised sugar is absolutely scrumptious and worth a try.
For perfect Chenna poda, you should always check the consistency. The more light and softer the consistency, the better the chhena poda tastes. Another important factor is to keep a check on the Oven while baking because every oven times vary, In some ovens it takes less time. Bake chenna poda till the top crust gets a dark golden color. After baking check the chenna poda with toothpick if it's sticky then bake for more 5 mins.
Let's check out the Ingredients & recipe to make this delicious instant milk peda. If you like this traditional sweet recipe then please comment down, I would love to read your thoughts!!!!
- 250 grams paneer or chenna
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp Rava/ Sooji
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 tsp choped cashews
- 2 tsp Raisins
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Ghee
- 4 tbsp Chenna water
Making Chhena Poda Mixture
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius for 15 minutes.
- Firstly line a baking tin with banana leaves or baking paper. Grease the banana leaves with some ghee.
- In a mixing bowl, add freshly prepared Chenna, mash & crumble it.
- Then add sugar, chenna water & Mix it really well.
- The chenna mixture consistency should be light like cake batter.
- Once you get a cake batter like consistency in the paneer mixture, then add rava, ghee, Cashews, raisins and cardamom powder. Mix it thoroughly.
For Baking Chenna Poda
- Pour the chhena poda mixture in the greased tin and tap it twice inorder to remove air bubbles.
- Place the tin in the oven and bake chenna poda for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Bake chenna poda till the top crust gets a dark golden color.
- Remove from the oven once done.
- Then check with a toothpick, if it comes out clean then it's perfectly baked.
- Allow the Chenna Poda to cool down completely.
- Enjoy a slice chenna poda after a meal.
- You can also use butter paper or parchment paper instead of banana leaves.
- You can also use 1/2 cup jaggery powder instead of sugar.
- The more light and softer the consistency, the better the chhena poda tastes.
- Keep a check on the Oven while baking because every oven times vary, In some ovens it takes less time.
- After baking check the chenna poda with toothpick if it's sticky then bake for more 5 mins.