I love making galettes. They are the ultimate hack to making a pie - you are rewarded with the taste of delicious pie with half the amount of work! They are often called "lazy pies" because there is no pie shaping, crimping, or lattice work involved. This apple galette recipe is a favourite of mine for its crispy crust, and sweet honeycrisp apple filling. When I'm feeling indulgent, I also like to top my galette with a smooth vanilla ice cream or some toasted almonds. This recipe makes a rectangular galette, but it can also be made into a 12 inch circle if that is preferred.
1 hr 45 min
Honecrisp apples thinly sliced, and neatly organized in the pie crust.
Brush the crust with egg wash, and sprinkle the galette with sugar. Bake in the oven.
Voila - cut into slices and feel free the serve with toasted almonds and vanilla ice cream.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 sticks cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sugar
- 4 large honeycrisp apples, cored, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Combine the pie dough ingredients in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment. Mix for about 15 seconds. Do not overmix, the dough should still be crumbly with streaks of butter in it.
- Remove the dough from the stand mixer bowl and place on a counter top. Add ice water one tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together without falling apart. Do not add too much water, the dough should not be mushy.
- Flatten the dough with your hands and shape it into a disk.
- Place dough in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Remove the pie dough from the fridge. Place the dough on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Working quickly, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Place the dough and parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Place the apple slices inside the rectangle, leaving a 1 inch border.
- Fold and tuck the edges of the pie dough over the apples to create a crust border.
- Brush the crust with egg wash - 1 egg and 1 tbsp water.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees farenheit. Place the galette in the fridge to cool while the oven preheats.
- Once the oven has reached 425 degrees farenheit, sprinkle the galette all over with 1/3 cup of granulated sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 425 degrees farenheit, followed by an additional 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees farenheit.
- Once golden brown, remove the gallette from the oven. Allow to cool and enjoy!
- Keep your pie dough cold at all times! Refrigerate as much as possible while working.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published September 28th, 2020 8:48 AM