Lavender Apple Galette
1 hr 20 min
This Apple Lavender Galette is a rustic and aromatic dessert with fresh apples, dried lavender buds, and a flaky homemade crust. It's easier to make than a pie, but it's just as delicious and is sure to impress everyone! If you don't want to make the pie crust, you can always use store bought. Dried culinary lavender is easy to find in most grocery store bulk sections or you can order it on Amazon. Serve this beautiful dessert with ice cream, whipped cream or just by itself.
Lavender Apple Galette with homemade pie crust and aromatic and floral dried lavender buds.
Close up of a Lavender Apple Galette with dried lavender buds and homemade flakey pie crust.
Heirloom apples from my neighbors orchard!
Lavender Apple Galette
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, COLD and cut into pieces
- 8 tbsp COLD water
Lavender Apple Filling
- 6-8 medium apples, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried lavender buds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- coarse sugar for crust
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt to a large mixing bowl and mix together with a fork or whisk. Add the butter pieces and cut in using a pastry cutter/fork at first and then use your hands to fully incorporate ensuring you have a coarse meal with some larger pieces of butter throughout. Add ice-cold water and mix in using a fork and then your hands. Create 2 equal-sized discs using your hands but do not press together, just form and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least an hour or more.
- When ready to roll out, remove the disc from the fridge and allow it to sit at room temp for about 10 minutes. Roll the disc out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface, rotating and flipping as you go. Continue rolling until you get a 12-13" circle (mine was more of a rectangle, it doesn't have to be perfect) and it's about 1/8" thick. Remember, this is a "rustic" galette so the edges can and will be rough and uneven.
- Place the rolled out dough on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and then place in the fridge until you are ready to fill and bake.
Filling and Assembly
- Preheat the oven to 375° and set the oven rack to one of the lower settings. While the rolled out crust is chilling, cut and core the apples and place them in a large bowl. Add the sugar, salt, lemon juice, lavender, and cinnamon and mix together.
- Take the chilled crust out of the fridge and spoon the apple mixture on top starting at the middle and leave about 2" around the edge. Fold the edge up and around the apples folding where needed. Brush the crust edges with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
- Place the galette in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Allow the galette to cool slightly and serve immediately.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published September 21st, 2020 3:54 PM
What did you do with the second disc of pie crust you instructed us to make?
I need to replace the lavender with something else. I’m allergic to it. Any suggestions please?