Apple Galette From Scratch
If you’re a fan of apple pies, then you’re gonna love this Apple Galette!
This Apple Galette has a simple flaky dough for the bottom, it is light, buttery and melts in your mouth. Then for the filling, we have thick slices of apple tossed in sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice to add a flavour punch. Lastly, to finish it off on the right note and add more texture, we have a brown sugar oats crumble.
Apple Galette is a great dessert for special days, it has a warm feel to it. This dessert also goes really well with some caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. Eating it hot from the oven also makes it that much better, I hope you enjoy this Apple Galette recipe!
Apple Galette From Scratch
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1¼ cup Butter
- ½ cup Water
- 5 pcs Apple
- 1 pc Lemon Juice
- 1 pc Lemon Zest
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ cup Oats
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Butter, melted
- In a medium size bowl, mix the flour and salt together.
- Add the cold butter and use your fingers to crush them with the flour. Don't mix it all in, leave some little chunks too.
- Add the water and only knead the dough until it all comes together.
- Flatten out the dough, cover it with plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer for 30mins.
- Take the dough out, dust the table with flour and use a rolling pin to open the dough into a rectangle. When the dough is about half inch thick, fold one side to the middle and then the other side to the middle as well (watch the video for visual explanation). Wrap the dough again and leave it in the freezer for 30 more minutes.
- Repeat this process once again. After the third 30minutes rest, open the dough to half inch thickness and use a bowl and a knife to cut the circles (watch video for visual explanation)
- Once you have the circles cut out, cover them with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge.
- Peel and slice the apples into 1 inch thickness.
- Put all the ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix it all well together.
- Put the oats, melted butter and brown sugar into a small bowl and use a spoon to mix it together. When it is combined, it is ready.
- Get the dough from the fridge.
- Place the apple slices in the middle of one dough circle, leaving about 2 inches space between the edges.
- Then, fold the remaining dough all around until it closes. (watch video for visual explanation)
- Cover the top with a layer of crumble. Once all the galettes are ready, pre heat the oven to 450°F and bake it for 20mins or until golden brown.
- Serve it hot with some caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream or enjoy it by itself!
- Don't knead the dough too much, only until it comes together.
- Make sure there are little chunks of butter in the flour so the dough is flakier