Orange Cranberry Torte
Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Have you started planning your menu yet? Bring all of the bright flavors and vibrant colors of the season to your holiday table with Orange Cranberry Torte.
Orange and cranberries are a classic pairing, such as Glazed Orange Cranberry Loaf. A little tarte and a little sweet, these colorful duo is the perfect way to end any meal or celebration.
Orange Cranberry Torte combines a couple of seasonal, fresh ingredients with pantry staples. It's as easy to shop for as it is to eat!
- Eggs - Adds richness to the cake while also helping it rise and bind together. To help your batter mix together smoothly and quickly, always let your eggs come to room temperature.
- Sugar - Balances out the tartness of the cranberries.
- Melted Butter - Adds decadence and moisture to this cake.
- Vanilla - Adds a delicate floral note and natural sweetness.
- Pinch of Salt - Enhances all of the flavors of the ingredients.
- Orange Zest - The citrus oils in the zest add a different layer of orange flavor and perfume the entire cake.
- Orange Juice - Adds a sunny tart yet sweet flavor that compliments the tartness of the cranberries.
- Baking Powder - Gives this fruity torte its rise and texture.
- Fresh Cranberries - Bright, tangy, and bursting with flavor and texture, this crimson fruit is at season's peak during the winter holidays such as Thanksgiving.
How to Make Orange Cranberry Torte
Unlike some cakes that can require multiple steps, this cheery and festive dessert mixes together easily. Skip the box mix and serve up this beautiful treat to friends in family. It's easy, and you know all of the ingredients.
Time needed: 45 minutes.
The hardest part of making this sweet treat is waiting for it to cool enough to slice into!
- PrepPreheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 cake pan or baking dish with parchment paper. You can also use a springform pan for this recipe.
- Wet IngredientsAdd your eggs and sugar to a bowl. Whisk them together until the eggs lighten in color, the sugar partially dissolves, and the mixture becomes foamy.
- Add the vanilla, orange juice and zest, and melted butter. Mix to combine.
- Dry IngredientsAdd your dry ingredients. Mix until it is just combined, careful not to over mix.
BakePour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread it out. Sprinkle the cranberries over the top. Sprinkle sugar over the top. Allow it to bake for 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
ServeAllow the cake to cool before cutting. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Fresh cranberries work best for this recipe. However, you can use frozen cranberries that have been fully defrosted and allowed to drain.
Variations on Orange Cranberry Torte
This dessert can be made completely Dairy Free by replacing the melted butter in it with your favorite dairy free variety.
Have fun garnishing your Orange Cranberry Tort. Once cooled sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the top before serving. You can also serve this with whipped cream or ice cream. And don't forget the festive Spicy Cranberry Orange Gin Torte.
While it's hard to believe there might be leftovers of this cake, it can be stored for up to 3-5 days. Keep it securely covered in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in the refrigerator.
- 8x8 Baking Dish - The batter for this cake perfectly fits an 8x8 cake pan. In addition, you can also use a round spring form pan for this recipe for easy release.
- Parchment Paper - Lining your pan with parchment paper not only helps prevent it from sticking to your pan, but also makes it easy to remove from the pan to cool and slice.
Top Tip for Orange Cranberry Torte
Using parchment paper to line your baking dish is a great way to prevent your cranberry orange torte from sticking while also making it easy to remove. Simply lightly grease your pan with softened butter. You can reserve your butter wrappers for this step. Then cut your parchment paper approximately to size.
Orange Cranberry Torte
- ▢ 2 eggs
- ▢ 1 cup sugar, plus extra for dusting
- ▢ 1/2 cup melted butter
- ▢ 1 tsp vanilla
- ▢ pinch of salt
- ▢ 1 tbsp orange zest
- ▢ 1/4 cup orange juice
- ▢ 1 cup flour
- ▢ 1 tsp baking powder
- ▢ 1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- ▢ softened butter for greasing the pan
- ▢ Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- ▢ Use softened butter to grease the pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper approximately to size and fit it into the pan.
- ▢ Add the eggs and sugar to a bowl and whisk until the eggs have lightened in color, the sugar is mostly dissolved, and the mixture is foamy.
- ▢ Add the orange juice and zest, vanilla, and melted butter. Whisk to combine.
- ▢ Add in the dry ingredients and mix together until the batter is just combined, careful not to over mix.
- ▢ Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- ▢ Sprinkle the cranberries over the top of the torte. Sprinkle a little sugar over the top.
- ▢ Bake the cake for 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- ▢ Allow to cool.
- ▢ Slice and enjoy!