Grain Free Low FODMAP PB&J Muffins
I finally decided to venture back out to our local farmer's market a few weekends ago to get some inspiration and produce for a client project. I told myself I'd go, get exactly what I needed and head home but mostly I knew I'd end up completely ignoring myself. Sure enough, the moment I arrived I knew I was going home with our week's worth of groceries! There weren't as many vendors this year but I was happy to see one farm was set up with multiple booths, a really quick and easy socially distant shopping experience, and more delicious looking produce than I knew how to handle. The first thing to catch my eye were these gorgeous, juicy, bright purple Concord grapes and I just knew I had to have them! I honestly don't think I've ever had a Concord grape before, outside of grape juice as a kid, but they were so pretty and seemed to be calling my name so I added them to my haul and went home.
Once I got home, I bit into one and immediately knew I had to make some sort of PB&J themed recipe. These juicy little globes taste JUST like grape jam... which duh of course they do because that's what grape jam is made of! I took to Google for some inspiration. I had purchased a whole chicken at the farmer's market, too and was thinking maybe I'd add them to the roast, which I probably will still do, but something about that didn't feel right. I had no clue what to do with them but just knew whatever I did had to end up a low FODMAP recipe that was also a grain free recipe.
Taking a step back, the idea hit me like a ton of bricks. MUFFINS! I will make a grain free recipe for peanut butter and jelly muffins! Grapes are an amazing fruit to have around especially if you are following low FODMAP and want to make low FODMAP recipes requiring fruit at home, which honestly I had never thought of until now but I'm definitely going back for more Concord grapes next weekend! I'm thinking I might try to develop a grain free pie recipe using Concord grapes because how decadent would THAT be?! Or maybe some grain free pie bars?! I'm having a moment with pie bars these day.
Anyway, PB+J muffins are the simple, easy breakfast I didn't know I needed and I promise your whole family will love them!
Don't have Concord grapes available? You could absolutely sub in blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries instead!
Grain Free Low FODMAP PB&J Muffins
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup peanut butter powder*
- 2 scoops collagen powder
- 1/2 cup granulated monk fruit
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted*
- 1/2 cup almond milk or plant-based milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Concord grapes, de-seeded
- 1/8 cup peanut butter, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and line two muffin tins with parchment or silicone muffin cups.
- De-seed grapes. It is OK if the skin comes off (it most likely will!) Remove seeds and discard, keeping remainder of grape in a small bowl or measuring cup until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, peanut butter powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment, cream together melted coconut oil + granulated monk fruit until fully combined.
- Next, add in eggs, vanilla, and almond milk continuing to whisk until fully incorporated.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients, mixing on low until combined.
- Remove bowl from stand mixer and fold in grapes with a silicone spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes. While muffins are cooling, melt 1/4 cup of peanut butter over medium heat + drizzle over top of muffins.
- *If you do not have peanut butter powder, eliminate the coconut oil and simply use 1/3 cup of melted peanut butter. **If you are following strict Paleo, sub in your favorite nut butter of choice for the peanut butter.