Antioxidant Berry Smoothie Recipe (Plus Benefits)
Start your day off with a delicious and nutritious antioxidant berry smoothie! Packed with the antioxidants naturally found in raspberries, strawberries and blueberries, this berry smoothie recipe has many wonderful nutritional benefits that promote daily health and wellness in addition to beautiful, clear skin.
Antioxidant Berry Smoothie
If you’re like me, you to remain healthy and active. You do your best to eat well and remain active. However, just because you’re doing the right things for your body doesn’t mean it can’t be delicious! This antioxidant berry smoothie has all the components for a healthy drink that’s both good for you and tastes amazing. It’s rich in all the nutrients you need to keep your body strong and thriving. Not only will your body love this smoothie, but your taste buds will also be happy with the amazing blend of summer berry and grapefruit flavors.
This healthy smoothie is a whole foods, plant-based drink that even the kids will enjoy. It is a favorite throughout the summer months when fruit is in season. However, it’s also a great way to enjoy a tasty treat in winter. Simply opt to use frozen fruit in this berry smoothie recipe in the winter months when fresh berries are out of season.
Keep reading to learn all the wonderful benefits of this antioxidant smoothie. Plus, grab the recipe and discover some great superfood options that you can to your smoothies to give them an additional nutritional boost.
Antioxidant Smoothie Benefits
Berry smoothies provide a number of excellent nutritional and health benefits making them incredibly good for you. Here are some of the advantages you may experience when partaking in smoothie recipes rich in antioxidants:
- Vitamin C assists in the growth and repair of body tissue. It also supports the immune system and helps with the absorption of iron.
- Beta-carotene provides protection for both skin and eyes from damaging ultra-violet light.
- Vitamin E works to maintain stores of vitamins A and K, iron and selenium. It also helps with the production of red blood cells.
- Flavonoid compounds are one of the most readily available antioxidants found in food. They are present in tea, red wine, cocoa powder and soybeans as well as all fruits and vegetables. Flavonoids support the immune system and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Lutein, which is found primarily in dark, leaf green vegetables, supports eye health.
- Tomatoes, watermelon, pink grapefruit, guava, papaya, apricots and blood oranges are all rich in Lycopene, which is believed to aid in the prevention of certain types of cancers, including prostate cancer.
- When you consume cocoa, green tea, black tea or dark grapes, you’re getting the antioxidants known as catechins. These natural polyphenolic phytochemicals protect against both skin and stomach cancer. It also helps to reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Anthocyanins are colored water-soluble pigments belonging to the phenolic group found in high amounts in berries, currants, grapes and some tropical fruits. Like many other antioxidant rich compounds, anthocyanins help support the immune system.
- Both lignans and isoflavones are phytoestrogens that play a role in hormone health. Lignans, which are found in the berries used to make antioxidant smoothies, may reduce certain hormone-related cancers as well as support healthy cholesterol. While isoflavones help to maintain bone density, and reduce symptoms of menopause.
Antioxidant Smoothie Ingredients
This antioxidant smoothie primarily consists of organic berries and citrus fruits. These are the ingredients you need to make a tasty berry smoothie recipe rich in antioxidants to support over wellness and clear skin:
- Grapefruits: This low calorie food contains a significant amount of antioxidant as well as fiber, vitamins and minerals. Not only does it support heart health, but it also has skin benefits and supports immune health.
- Oranges: I specifically used blood oranges for this berry smoothie recipe. However, if you don’t have access to blood oranges, you may use whatever is available to you. Oranges are best known for their high vitamin C content. However, this citrus fruit also contains fiber that helps manage blood sugar levels and keep cholesterol in check.
- Raspberries: Known as an antioxidant powerhouse, this berry is packed with Omega-3 fatty acids and potassium which aid in the prevention of heart disease. In addition, they also contain manganese. This mineral is necessary for healthy bones and skin. It also helps to regulate blood sugar.
- Blueberries: This low-calorie, antioxidant rich berry is high in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K and the plant compound anthocyanin. This superfood promotes both heart and skin health, bone strength and may help with cancer prevention. Additionally, blueberries also help to maintain healthy blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
- Strawberries: Another excellent superfood and a common ingredient in berry smoothie recipes, strawberries contain high amounts of necessary vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants known as polyphenols. Another low-calorie food, this fruit helps protect against heart disease, increases your good cholesterol, lowers blood pressure, and may guard against cancer.
- Hemp Seeds: Much like berries, hemp seeds also contain high levels of antioxidants. They are a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids as well as protein, fiber and vitamins and minerals. This ingredient is used to make an antioxidant smoothie for clear skin thanks to the Omega-3’s and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also great for heart health.
- Apples: This popular smoothie fruit is abundant in both fiber and antioxidants. Not only do they promote weight loss and improve both brain and gut health, but apples are also linked to a lower risk of diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
Superfood Berry Smoothie Boosters
In addition to the ingredients called for in my antioxidant berry smoothie recipe, you can also add any of the following superfoods to provide an added nutritional boost:
- Spinach, kale, or dandelion leaves are all dark leafy greens rich in antioxidants. Each of these superfoods adds their own unique nutritional content to the antioxidant smoothies that you make.
- Vegan protein powder is a great way to increase your protein in the foods you drink. Both Botanica Health and Garden of Life sell quality, plant-based protein powders.
- Greens powder makes another great addition to your berry smoothie recipes. Especially if you don’t consume enough vegetables during meals. Purely Inspired and Amazing Grass are both popular brands.
- Plant-based omega oils are great for brain health! Plant based oils rich in Omega-3’s include flaxseed oil, soybean oil, walnut oil, canola and hemp seed oil.
- Chlorella or Spirulina helps detox heavy metals from the body. Spirulina powder is a blue-green algae and a major source of protein. It contains 65% amino acids, including the essential fatty acid gamma linolenic acid (GLA) as well as essential vitamins and minerals that are necessary for healthy skin and hair.
- Turmeric is a wonderful superfood. It’s especially beneficial at helping to reduce inflammation. (And part of why it’s a key ingredient in golden milk.) In addition to reducing inflammation, turmeric also helps to regulate blood sugar and improve digestion, support immune health, and aid in memory, mood and brain function.
- Collagen is great for skin and hair! I like to mix in Unflavored Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides Powder with Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C to make this smoothie extra beneficial for skin and hair. It’s an easy way to increase both your collagen protein intake for healthy, glowing skin as it contains 18 grams of protein and 20 grams of collagen. However, this addition cannot be used to make a vegan smoothie as it does contain bovine. If you prefer a plant based option, you many add Unflavored Amazing Grass GLOW Vegan Collagen Support to your fruit smoothies. This product contains 15 grams of plant based protein per serving along with biotin to support collagen production.
Antioxidant Berry Smoothie Recipe (Plus Benefits)
- 2 Large grapefruits
- 2 Blood oranges
- 1/2 cup Raspberries, frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup Blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup Strawberries, frozen or fresh
- 2 Tablespoons Hemp Seeds
- 1 Apple
- Juice grapefruits and oranges with a citrus juicer. Should make 1 1/2 cups juice.
- Cut and core apple.
- Pour grapefruit and orange juice along with raspberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, apple and hemp seeds into blender.
- Feel free to add in other powders, greens or your favourite super foods.
- Blend on high until smooth.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!