How many of you used to have rice krispies squares as a kid? I loved eating those little sweet treats, but I personally always enjoyed the homemade version instead of the packaged, store-bought ones. Something about the smell of the butter mixed with marshmallows always got me so excited! The recipe that I will be sharing is from many years ago so I can’t quite find where it was adapted from, but I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did (for all 10 times that I’ve made it)! I hope this recipe helps you take a trip down memory lane. :)
Rice Krispies Squares
- 16 Squares
- Prep time: 1 Minutes Cook time: 5 Minutes Total time: 6 min
- 1 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp of butter or vegan butter
- 2 cups marshmallows (or vegan marshmallows*)
- 3 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Coat a pan (I used an 8 inch by 8 inch pan) with cooking spray or coconut oil. Place a sheet of parchment paper on top.
- On low heat, melt the butter or vegan butter in a large saucepan until it becomes a liquid. Stir in all the marshmallows until they have completely melted. This step may take longer if you are using vegan marshmallows. If you do use vegan marshmallows, you can add about 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil or more to speed up the process. Once completely melted, remove from heat.
- Stir in all of the cereal into the mixture until everything is well mixed.
- Pour the entire mixture into your prepared pan and press evenly.
- Melt your chocolate chips for 30 seconds, stir them with a fork and microwave for another 30 seconds or longer until melted. Pour the melted chocolate into a piping bag or a ziploc bag with a small hole cut at the bottom. Drizzle chocolate over the rice krispies treat diagonally.
- Let the rice krispies completely cool before cutting. You can refrigerate them for a few minutes to speed up the process.
- *If using vegan marshmallows, you may need a bit of coconut oil to help melt your marshmallows faster.