Stuffed Acorn Squash
Simple Stuffed Acorn Squash is a staple recipe in our house in the fall and winter. Filled with a mix of spicy and sweet flavors in the stuffing and a savory flavor from the acorn squash. I never thought I would get Phillip to love this dish. Many guys aren’t too keen on squash to begin with but acorn squash, something they’ve never heard of? Let’s just say when I told him what I was making the first time I made this he didn’t seem too excited.
But, after the first bite, he was pretty happy with the different flavors this dish brings together so well. This calls for hot Italian sausage and I highly recommend keeping that but I understand if you want to swap it for mild Italian sausage. The sweet flavor from the apples and nutmeg on the squash really pairs well with the hot sausage. There really isn’t any spicy at all if that is something you’re worried about. You can add more of less of a certain ingredient to this simple stuffed acorn squash but I suggest just trying it this way to start!
While it does take a bit to soften up the squash, it is worth the wait. You can still start making this dinner and be sitting down to eat with your family in under an hour. Bonus, there aren’t many dishes. Go ahead and line your baking sheet with foil or parchment paper to eliminate extra dishes. Speaking of, check out our fav pans here. Then all you have is your saute pan and cutting board. Or you can do what I do. Say “Since I made the stuffed acorn squash, you clean up”. Problem solved.
If you are a squash fan, PLEASE try our Butternut Squash Carbonara. It is surprising how create you can make squash. Yum, I want to eat this simple stuffed acorn squash all over again! It can be tangy, sweet, spicy, savory, and so much more. I need to try a squash dessert of some kind. Hmm, let me think on that.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 acorn squashes halved
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 apples chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ tbsp sage or 4 sage leaves whole
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 lb hot italian sausage
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Slice acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds cleanly from the squash
- Brush olive oil on the insides of the acorn squash until well coated
- Sprinkle nutmeg, salt, and pepper on the squash halves
- Bake in oven for 45-60 minutes or until squash is soft
- While acorn squash is cooking, cook the Italian sausage and drain bulk of the oil
- With a little of the sausage oil left in the pan, cook the onion, apple, and sage until onion is translucent and apples are soft
- Add sausage back and mix well
- Remove sage leaves and add panko and parmesan cheese until mixed into a thick mixture
- Once the squash halves are cooked remove from oven, spoon sausage mixture and sprinkle more parmesan cheese on top
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve