Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes are the perfect healthy side dish that the whole family will love. Sweet potatoes coated in olive oil and spices are oven-baked to perfection. Crispy roasted potatoes are the ideal side dish for weeknight cooking or special occasion meals. This easy side dish is gluten-free.
Find this recipe and more on my blog HERE: https://sugarylogic.com/crispy-roasted-sweet-potatoes/
Sweet potatoes are delicious in a variety of preparations, but roasting them gives them a little something special. The exterior of the sweet potatoes becomes crispy, while the inside is perfectly soft and tender. Roasting sweet potatoes makes them sweeter while bringing out all of their delicious flavors.
This recipe is for you if you are looking for a healthy, delicious side dish that is also easy to prepare. The roasting process is simple and requires little labor. Like with my Oven Fries, these oven-baked sweet potatoes are seasoned and roasted to perfection.
Enjoy crispy potatoes any night of the week, or serve them alongside your Thanksgiving feast. Roasted potatoes are a healthy side dish for cooked proteins or sandwiches. You will love them!
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Roasting brings out sweet potatoes' natural sugars while deepening their flavor. The best oven-baked potatoes have a crispy exterior and soft, fluffy interior - like these roasted sweet potatoes. Here is why you will love this simple vegetable side dish recipe:
- Diced sweet potatoes oven-roasted and caramelized to crispy perfection
- Customizable recipe with simple ingredients - use the seasonings you have on hand
- A healthy vegetable side dish the whole family will love
- Serve any day of the week or for special occasion meals
- Sweet Potatoes (diced)
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Cornstarch - The secret to the best crispy roasted vegetables.
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
See the recipe card for ingredient quantities.
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
STEP 1 - Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line a half-sheet pan with a sheet of parchment and set it aside.
STEP 2 - Combine the salt, garlic powder, and cornstarch in a small bowl.
STEP 3 - In a large bowl, toss the diced sweet potatoes in olive oil and the seasoning blend until all of the potatoes are coated.
STEP 4 - Transfer the potatoes to the prepared tray and spread them out evenly (do not overcrowd the pan).
STEP 5 - Bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes and flip them over. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until desired crispiness is achieved. Season with extra salt and black pepper to taste.
Variations and Additions
- Additional Spices - Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of either onion powder, paprika, or smoked paprika for added flavor.
- Parmesan - Toss fresh-out-of-the-oven potatoes in ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with chopped Italian parsley and serve.
- Fresh Herbs - Toss the potatoes with a tablespoon of roughly chopped rosemary before roasting them.
- Cheese - Sprinkle crumbled goat cheese or feta over the roasted potatoes before serving.
- Sweet - Omit the garlic. Before roasting, toss the sweet potatoes in ¼ to ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a tablespoon of maple syrup. Top with toasted pecans.
Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
You can roast sweet potatoes in the air fryer too. Preheat the air fryer to 400° F. Once preheated, transfer the olive oil-coated potatoes to the air fryer basket. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until desired crispiness is achieved, tossing halfway through cooking.
Try my Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges, too - they're perfectly seasoned and crispy.
- Nordic Ware Half Sheet
- Parchment Sheets
- Chef's Knife
Roasted potatoes are best when served immediately after cooking, but they will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Transfer cooled potatoes to an airtight container.
Can you freeze roasted potatoes? Once cooled, transfer the tray of potatoes to the freezer. Freeze until the potatoes are completely frozen before transferring them to an airtight container or freezer-safe zip-top bag. Freeze for up to 2 months.
How to Serve Crispy Sweet Potatoes
Crispy sweet potatoes pair with about any meal or protein. Serve them alongside cooked proteins like chicken, steak, or salmon. I especially love them alongside my Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Thighs. Roasted potatoes are a healthy alternative to french fries - enjoy them alongside your next burger or sandwich. One of my favorite ways to eat these roasted sweet potatoes is sprinkled over a salad, like in my Healthy Autumn Salad.
Other Vegetable Sides
- Cut the sweet potatoes to the same size for even cooking.
- Line the pan with a sheet of parchment to prevent sticking and for easy clean-up.
- Do not overcrowd the pan, so the potatoes have space for even cooking.
- Cook time will depend on the desired level of crispiness.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best temperature to roast sweet potatoes?The best temperatures to roast potatoes are within the range of 400° F to 425° F. High heat soaks up moisture while creating a crispy outer texture.
How long do sweet potatoes take to roast?The time it takes to roast sweet potatoes depends on the size they are cut into. If diced like in this recipe, small potatoes take 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the desired crispiness.
Do you have to peel sweet potatoes before roasting them?You can roast potatoes peeled or unpeeled; however, they crisp up better when peeled.
If you make the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe, and let me know what you think in the comments on my website! Take pictures, tag, and share them with me on Instagram or Facebook.
Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and diced, about 3 1/2 cups
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- freshly cracked black pepper about 1/4 tsp, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line a half-sheet pan with a sheet of parchment and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, and cornstarch.
- In a large bowl, toss the diced sweet potatoes in olive oil and the seasoning blend until all of the potatoes are coated.
- Transfer the potatoes to the prepared tray and spread them out evenly (do not overcrowd the pan).
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes and flip them over. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until desired crispiness is achieved. Season with additional salt and black pepper to taste.
- Roasted potatoes are best when served immediately after cooking, but they will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Transfer cooled potatoes to an airtight container.