Easy Szechuan Green Beans
These Easy Szechuan Green Beans are made with trimmed green beans, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar.
The first time I tried these green beans were in Beijing in the summer of 2013. We were sitting on a sound table with the traditional Chinese Lazy Susan, and the green beans rolled around to me. I served myself on a plate and took a bite out of that crispy spicy deliciousness. They are traditionally made with Sichuan Peppercorns and dried chili peppers.
What you will need
- Green beans: Make sure to use fresh green beans.
- Ginger: Use ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger for every 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger
- Garlic: You can use fresh or garlic from a jar.
- Sesame seeds: This part is optional but gives the dish a great look. You can use everything but the bagel seasoning as well, which is what I used!
- Sesame Oil: This gives it the best taste, I wouldn't omit!
- Soy sauce: There should be twice the amount of soy sauce compared to rice vinegar.
- Rice vinegar: You could also use rice wine vinegar, shaoxing wine, or dry sherry.
- Sugar: Feel free to use white sugar or even honey if you prefer. You can use the same amount for either.
- Red pepper flakes: If you have dried chili peppers, use that instead but this is a great alternative if you can't find them. Red pepper flakes will give the beans the spice they need.
How to make Easy Szechuan Green Beans
Start by heating up the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok on medium high heat.
Throw in the green beans and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and ginger and toss frequently for 8 minutes.
Mix the sauce together in a bowl and stir well.
Pour in the sauce and cook for another 4-6 minutes until the green beans are on the softer side, but not too soft.
Garnish with sesame seeds.
Other dishes to try
- ROASTED RED PEPPERS ON GRILL
- SHISHITO PEPPERS WITH SPICY MAYO SAUCE
- SAZON GRILLED VEGETABLES
Easy Szechuan Green Beans
- 1 ½ pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Start by heating up the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok on medium high heat.
- Throw in the green beans and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and toss frequently for 8 minutes.
- Mix the sauce together in a bowl and stir well.
- Pour in the sauce and cook for another 4-6 minutes until the green beans are on the softer side, but not too soft.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
- You can use a large skillet or a wok