Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
is the perfect comforting meal that comes together in about 30 minutes!
Filled with while rice, mushrooms, and herbs, this comforting soup is perfect during chilly weather months. It's great for an easy weeknight dinner, a meal prep recipe, or an easy pantry meal in a pinch.
This one is great with many types of mushrooms - I used portobello mushrooms, but feel free to use whatever type of mushrooms you have on hand.
I am a huge fan of mushrooms and I found myself with a lot of them in my fridge. We had some wild rice that needed to be used, and bam, this recipe happened.
I absolutely love soup season and especially love a good hearty soup. But soup shouldn't be complicated, and this one definitely isn't. This soup recipe has minimal ingredients, a lot of flavor, and is so delicious.
A few tips for this recipe:
- Make the rice ahead of time, or use leftover rice. It will save you time and reduce food waste. I like to make this when I have leftover rice because I usually have the other ingredients on hand.
- Don't skip on reserving half of the mushrooms after sautéing them! This helps keep the mushrooms from getting soggy and will improve the texture of the dish.
- Serve with delicious crusty bread, it is perfect for soaking up the broth!
Overall, this is a great recipe to make if you have leftover wild rice in your fridge. It'll cut down the cooking time a ton and allow you to use up leftovers without food waste. A win-win!
Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb portobello mushrooms sliced
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Bread for serving
- Basil for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add white onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, rosemary, and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Add half of the mushrooms to the soup and set the other half aside.
- Add rice and heavy cream to the soup. Stir well and serve. Top with crispy mushrooms and serve with bread and fresh basil.