Tomato Basil Soup
If you want to see all my recent posts, check out my Instagram. Or, if you want to see all my recipes, check out my website!
Roasted tomato basil soup is one of the easiest soups to make, and it's even better during tomato season. But even if tomatoes aren't in season, don't worry - just head to your local grocery store and try to find the best quality cherry tomatoes you can find.
This recipe is so simple, the oven does all the work. The only real work you'll have to do is put the veggies in the oven, blend it up, then mix in some stock and some heavy cream. That's really it... you can't get much simpler than that!
Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes (about 600g - 700g)
- 1 medium sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 3 medium Jimmy Nardello peppers (Italian sweet peppers)
- 6 medium garlic cloves
- 5 large sprigs fresh oregano
- Large handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flags
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Veggie stock (or chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat your oven to 450º
- Add the onion, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, oregano, basil, coriander, fennel, thyme, and red pepper flakes to a baking dish (or dutch oven). Season with salt, and drizzle with 1/4 cup of EVOO. Toss until all the veggies are fully coated.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, uncovered, until the veggies are slightly charred. Once done, remove the oregano stems and set the veggies aside until they slightly cool.
- Once slightly cooled, add the veggies along with a 1/2 cup of veggie stock (or chicken stock) to a high power blender, and blend until smooth. Optional, but pour the soup through a fine mesh sieve and into a sauce pan. This will remove any extra seeds or skin that didn't blend.
- Over medium-low heat, add the heave cream and butter and stir until incorporated. This will emulsify the soup and make it even smoother. Taste, and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Top with a teaspoon of heavy cream, EVOO, and basil.