Goan Beef Curry
This is a very tasty curry that is made in the slow cooker and the beef just falls apart. This is quite straight forward to follow but smells and tastes amazing.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the sliced onions until they are caramelised and golden in colour. Takes about 20 minutes.
While the onions are frying, in another frying pan add the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, fresh chillis & cayenne pepper & toast them for 4 minutes. Let cool.
Now put it all into a blender and blitz it into a powder.
Now add the garam masalla.
Chop up your 2 chillis finely.
once onions are done, add your chopped chillis and garlic & ginger pastes to them and stir. Cook for 2 minutes until garlic doesn’t smell raw.
Now add your spices.
Give it a good stir. Add 2 tbsp of water to stop it sticking and cook for 3 minutes.
Add your beef and potatoes to the slow cooker.
Mix your beef stock, vinegar, tamarind paste, salt & coconut milk together. Add it to the pan of onions.
Mix this altogether.
Pour the sauce mixture into the slow cooker on top of the beef & potatoes.
Give it a stir and put it on high and cook for 4-6 hours until it’s at your desired softness.
The sauce will reduce and thicken and you end up with a lovely spicy beef curry.
Serve with some rice of your choice but it goes well with coconut rice.
Goan Beef Curry
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, I used a peppercorn grinder.
- Stick of cinnamon
- 2 whole cardomoms
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp of garam masalla
- 600-900g diced beef depending if you want it more saucy or more meaty.
- 200g peeled chopped potatoes
- large onion sliced finely
- tbsp veg oil
- 2 fresh chillis of your chosen heat
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp malt vinegar
- 1 cup of beef stock
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add your sliced onion and fry until caramelised and golden. This can take up to 20 minutes. In a separate pan add the cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, cayenne pepper, dried chillis and toast for 4 minutes. Allow to cool then blitz in a food processor into a powder. Add the garam masalla.
- Chop your 2 chillis finely and add to the caramelised onions along with the garlic & ginger pastes, stir and cook for 3 minutes until garlic doesn’t smell raw.
- Add the spice mixture to it and 2 tbsp of water to stop it sticking, cook for 3 minutes.
- mix together beef stock, tamarind paste, vinegar, salt & coconut milk. Add this to the onions & stir.
- put the beef and potatoes into slow cooker. Add the sauce mixture into this and stir. Put on high for 4-6 hours and serve with rice of your choice once sauce has reduced and thickened and beef is falling apart.
- It goes well with coconut rice. Enjoy!