Crock-Pot Beef Stew
In the winter I love to use my crock-pot for evening meals. I’ve made crock-pot beef stew weekly since the first of the year. We love this recipe and it’s not at all difficult to make and is so delicious!
I keep my beef stew simple using cubes of top round roast, potatoes, and carrots. The other ingredients are beef broth, cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper, and flour. I have used a bottom round roast, chuck roast, and arm roast for this recipe and each meat cut works perfectly for this stew.
The key to making crock-pot beef stew extra tasty is to brown the meat in flour seasoned with salt and pepper before putting it into the crock-pot. I start by cutting one roast into cubes.
After I’ve cubed the meat, I toss half of the cubes into a large plastic bag to which I’ve added a cup of flour, 2 tsp. of salt, and a tsp of pepper. The cubes are browned in 3 T. of hot olive oil.
After the chunks of beef are brown, I add them to the crock-pot. While the meat is browning, I peel and chop the carrots and potatoes. Then toss the other half of the beef cubes into the flour mixture, brown, and add to the crock-pot. Don’t forget to scrape every browned morsel from the pan. They add great flavor to the stew.
Add the potatoes and carrots to the crock-pot and then top with 4 cups of beef broth and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Cook on low until it’s done. 6 hours is perfect but mine usually has to cook up to 10 hours until I’m home from work.
Serve with rolls and a salad for a hearty winter meal!
Crock-Pot Beef Stew
- Top Round Roast (or Chuck Roast)
- 5 medium potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup flour
- Cut beef into bite sized cubes. Toss in a plastic bag containing flour, 2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper. Brown half of the cubes in 3 T. of EVOO. After the beef is brown, add to crock-pot, being sure to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Heat 3 more T. of EVOO and brown the rest of the beef.
- While the beef cooks, cut the carrots and potatoes into slices or cubes and add to the crock-pot. Season with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. of pepper.
- Top the beef and vegetables with one carton of beef broth and one can of cream of mushroom soup.
- Cook on low up to 10 hours. (It should be done in 6 hours on low.)
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!