Honestly, I do not like experimenting with my green salad. Its simple ingredients and flavors have made me like it for many years. Some people might find this salad recipe too simple and old-school, but at least it does not have any weird stuff that brings down its flavors.
The fewer ingredients that go into this salad make it a perfect choice for many side dishes. Whether you are eating baked veggies, juicy chicken breast, or a bowl of fresh fruits, this green salad will enhance the taste of your food.
I have said that I’m in love with its flavors, but secretly, I like this salad because its preparation does not keep me in the kitchen for a long time. It requires minimum effort and fewer ingredients.
Want to try this simple green salad? Keep reading to get the recipe.
Flavorful Green Salad
Many people have started adding extra ingredients to their green salad to make it more Instagram-worthy, but I don’t like giving any twist to my traditional green salad. After all, this salad recipe has been passed on for generations.
So basically, you can call this green salad recipe a family secret, which I’ll be revealing today because sharing is caring. If you think this salad lacks flavors or tastes bland as it’s a traditional recipe, you are sadly mistaken.
It has just as many flavors as any other salad. What’s better? Well, this salad is also healthy. So, if you want to keep your family healthy and feed them tasty food, don’t forget to prepare the green salad today.
Steps to Make mouthwatering Traditional Potato Salad
I have broken down the preparation of this recipe into different sections so you can prepare it without getting confused.
To prepare this healthy green salad, you need two cups of baby spinach. Ensure that you properly wash the spinach under running water so your salad does not contain any sand particles. I usually add baby spinach without cutting, but you can cut the spinach into the desired shape.
After cleaning the spinach, you need two bowls of arugula. Wash the leaves under running water so they are properly cleaned. Then mix spinach and arugula using a spatula and keep them aside.
At last, you need a 1/2 red onion to give a bit of crunch to the salad. Take an onion and cut it in half. Keep one half aside and peel the other half. Wash the onion properly and slice it into smaller pieces.
This step requires you to prepare salad dressing so your salad tastes wonderful. You need three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and two tablespoons of olive oil for the dressing. Then you can add salt and pepper as per your taste to give more flavor to the salad.
Once your salad dressing is prepared, add spinach, arugula, and sliced onion to it. Mix everything properly so the leaves and onion pieces properly get covered in the dressing.
Lastly, you can add 1 oz of shredded parmesan cheese and give a quick mix to the salad.
- If you think that you haven’t added enough greens to your salad, you can add lettuce, thinly sliced avocado, asparagus, properly sliced cucumbers, and 1/4th cup of microgreens. These ingredients will make your green salad more healthy and tasty.
- If you have run out of parmesan cheese, you can replace it with goat or feta cheese. However, if you are a vegan, skip the cheese.
- You can also give your green salad a nutty and crunchy flavor by adding almonds, sunflower seeds, or pepitas.
- You must hold onto the dressing until you serve the salad so the flavors and crunch of the salad are not lost.
Can I Eat Green Salad every day?
Eating green salad every day is completely fine because it is green vegetables. The salad is loaded with minerals and vitamins, which can increase the antioxidant level in the blood. It’s safe to consume a bowl of green salad every day. But avoid overeating as it might result in bloating and diarrhea.
Can I Lose Weight by Eating Green Salad?
If you want to lose weight, you can include a salad in your diet. But you must not depend on green salad to lose weight. Along with the salad, you must include protein-rich items in your diet.
Is Green Salad Healthy?
Green salad is healthy as it contains ingredients rich in minerals and vitamins. This salad is a part of a healthy diet and tastes better.
Can I Freeze Green Salad?
You can freeze and store green salad, but it’s advised to prepare it fresh so you can enjoy the rich taste. Storing the salad can eliminate its freshness and make the onions less crunchy.
- 2 Cups baby arugula
- 2 Cups baby spinach
- 1/2 diced red onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 oz. shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, mix baby spinach and baby arugula in a bowl.
- Stir in the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and diced red onion, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix everything until combined and garnish with 1 oz shredded parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Avoid using bigger-sized spinach as it might bring down the green salad flavors.