Marry Me Chicken: The Perfect Recipe for a Delicious and Hearty Dinner
Here is an easy recipe for Marry Me Chicken. This dish gets its name from its ability to win over even the pickiest eaters with its delicious and hearty flavors. The combination of tender chicken, creamy sauce, and savory spices is simply irresistible.
Whether you’re cooking for a special occasion or just looking for a new go-to chicken dinner recipe, this Marry Me Chicken is sure to become a favorite in your household. So let’s get cooking!
Why People Love Marry Me Chicken
There are a few reasons why people love Marry Me Chicken:
- It’s delicious: The combination of tender chicken, creamy sauce, and savory spices creates a dish that is hard to resist.
- It’s easy to make: This is a relatively simple recipe that doesn’t require any complex techniques or hard-to-find ingredients.
- It’s versatile: This tasty chicken dish can be served over pasta, rice, or potatoes, making it a great option for a variety of different meals.
- It’s a crowd-pleaser: Marry Me Chicken is a dish that appeals to a wide range of people, making it a great option for feeding a group of people.
- It’s a comfort food: The creamy sauce and hearty flavors of this chicken dinner make it a comforting and satisfying meal.
What is Marry Me Chicken?
Marry Me Chicken, also known as “Marry Me Pasta,” is a popular dish that combines tender chicken, creamy sauce, and savory spices to create a delicious and hearty meal. The dish gets its name from its ability to win over even the pickiest eaters with its irresistible flavors. It is often served over pasta, but can also be served with rice or potatoes as a side.
The dish is believed to have originated in the United States, although it has gained popularity in other parts of the world as well. Keep this recipe in mind for your next date night, or any time you want to serve a rich and creamy chicken dinner.
Marry Me Chicken Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this chicken dinner recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Avocado oil
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Dried thyme
- Crushed red pepper
- Garlic, minced
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, grated
How to Make Marry Me Chicken
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add oil.
In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, basil, thyme, and crushed red pepper. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with this mixture.
Place the seasoned chicken breasts in the hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set it aside.
Add minced garlic to the skillet and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Pour in chicken stock to deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet.
Pour in the heavy cream and stir to incorporate.
Stir in the Parmesan cheese and add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes, stirring to combine. Allow the sauce to come to a low simmer.
Place the chicken breasts back in the skillet and spoon some sauce over them.
Place the skillet in the preheated oven and cook for 15-18 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Serve the chicken and sauce warm over pasta, or with a side of rice or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
What to serve with Marry Me Chicken
Here are some ideas for sides to serve with Marry Me Chicken:
- Pasta: Marry Me Chicken is often served over pasta, such as spaghetti, linguine, or penne.
- Rice: White rice, brown rice, or wild rice are all great options for serving this creamy chicken dinner.
- Potatoes: Roasted, mashed, or fried potatoes would all be tasty options.
- Vegetables: Roasted or steamed vegetables, such as broccoli, asparagus, or green beans, would be a healthy and flavorful side dish to pair with this chicken dinner. Consider unicorn stuffed mushrooms for the kiddos!
- Salad: A simple green salad or a more elaborate salad, such as a Caesar salad or a mixed greens salad with toppings, would be a refreshing way to start the meal.
- Bread: Garlic bread, rolls, cheesy garlic pull apart bread, or a loaf of crusty bread would be perfect for soaking up the delicious sauce from the chicken.
Substitutions and Variations
Here are some substitutions and variations for the ingredients in Marry Me Chicken:
- Avocado oil: You can use any cooking oil that you prefer, such as olive oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil.
- Chicken breasts: You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts if you prefer.
- Salt, pepper, basil, thyme, and crushed red pepper: You can adjust the amounts of these spices to your liking, or you can use a different combination of spices such as oregano, paprika, or Italian seasoning.
- Garlic: You can use fresh or jarred minced garlic, or you can omit it if you don’t like garlic.
- Chicken broth: You can use vegetable broth or beef broth instead of chicken broth if you prefer.
- Heavy cream: You can use half-and-half or whole milk instead of heavy cream if you prefer a lighter sauce. You can also use a lower-fat dairy product such as 2% milk or non-dairy milk, but the sauce may not be as creamy.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: You can omit the sun-dried tomatoes if you don’t have any on hand, or you can use diced fresh tomatoes instead.
- Parmesan cheese: You can use any type of hard, grated cheese such as Asiago, Pecorino Romano, or Gouda. You can also omit the cheese if you prefer.
To make Marry Me Chicken low-carb and keto-friendly, you can try the following modifications:
- Use a low-carb pasta: Instead of serving the Marry Me Chicken over traditional pasta, you can use a low-carb pasta alternative such as spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or shirataki noodles.
- Use a low-carb flour: If you want to thicken the sauce with fewer carbs, you can use a low-carb flour such as almond flour or coconut flour instead of regular all-purpose flour.
- Serve with low-carb sides: Instead of serving the chicken with pasta, rice, or potatoes, you can serve it with low-carb sides such as roasted vegetables, cauliflower rice, or a salad.
By making these adjustments, you can enjoy a delicious and satisfying low-carb and/or keto-friendly version of Marry Me Chicken.
Kitchen Tools Needed
Here is a list of kitchen tools that you will need to make this recipe:
- Large skillet or sauté pan: You will need a large skillet or sauté pan to cook the chicken and create the sauce.
- Measuring cups and spoons: You will need measuring cups and spoons to measure out the ingredients.
- Cutting board: You will need a cutting board to chop the sun-dried tomatoes and mince the garlic.
- Knife: You will need a knife to chop the sun-dried tomatoes and mince the garlic.
- Wooden spoon or silicone spatula: You will need a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to stir the ingredients in the skillet or sauté pan.
- Colander: If you are serving the Marry Me Chicken over pasta, you will need a colander to drain the pasta once it is cooked.
- Serving dish: You will need a serving dish to plate the dinner and any sides that you are serving with it.
- Optional: If you want to garnish the chicken with additional Parmesan cheese or chopped fresh herbs, you will need a grater and a cutting board and knife for those ingredients.
How to Store Leftovers
Transfer any leftover Marry Me Chicken to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Recipe Notes and FAQ
Can Marry Me Chicken be made with other proteins?
While Marry Me Chicken is the most common version of this dish, it can also be made with other proteins such as shrimp or tofu. Simply substitute the protein of your choice in place of the chicken in the recipe.
Is Marry Me Chicken suitable for vegetarians?
Marry Me Chicken is typically made with chicken, so it is not suitable for vegetarians. However, as mentioned above, it can be made with tofu or other plant-based proteins to make it suitable for a vegetarian diet.
Try these Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Parmesan crusted chicken is something even picky eaters enjoy.
- Hasselback chicken with spinach and bacon is low-carb and keto friendly.
- Ginger chicken skillet dinner for an extra flavor kick.
- Chicken ranch tacos for a tasty spin on taco night.
- Chicken and spinach lasagna is the ultimate creamy comfort food.
Pin this image to your dinner board to save and share!
If you liked this recipe, be sure to subscribe to the blog for more.
Let me know if you make this easy marry me chicken recipe. I’d love to hear if they put a ring on it! 😉
Marry Me Chicken: The Perfect Recipe for a Delicious and Hearty Dinner
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add oil to a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add salt, pepper, basil, thyme, crushed red pepper to a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Season both sides of the chicken breast with the seasoning mixture.
- Cook the seasoned chicken breasts in the preheated cast iron skillet for 3-4 minutes each side. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add minced garlic to the hot skillet and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Pour in chicken stock to deglaze the pan, and use a wood spoon to scrape off any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet.
- Pour in the heavy cream. Stir to incorporate.
- Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Add chopped sundried tomatoes and stir to combine. Allow sauce to come to a low simmer.
- Add chicken breasts back into the skillet and spoon a little sauce over the chicken.
- Place skillet in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until chicken is cooked to 165 degrees F. Enjoy warm served over a bed of pasta, or with a side of rice or mashed potatoes.