Nothing says fall like pumpkin and pumpkin spice. Am I right?! I love all things pumpkin this time of year, and these light and fluffy sweet rolls filled with pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice are definitely one of our families favorites! This recipe is actually a spin off from my Quick and Easy Cinnamon Roll recipe that we enjoy all year round. I've simply tweaked some of the ingredients, including the frosting. For these pumpkiny treats I chose to add a hint of maple syrup to the original cream cheese frosting. I think it's the perfect compliment to all the pumpkin flavor!
Pumpkin Sweet Rolls
2 hr 55 min
Pumpkin Sweet Rolls
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/4 tsp active yeast (1 packet)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (up to 4 cups if needed)
- 1/4 cup sugar (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons pumpkin spice
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Tablespoon pumpkin spice
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter softened
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons half and half
To make the sweet rolls
- Combine the milk and butter in a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl. Microwave on high for 20 seconds. Test temperature. You want the mixture to be no hotter than 115 degrees. **Too hot and you will kill the yeast!
- Add the yeast to the milk/butter mixture.
- Add in one tablespoon of the 1/4 cup of sugar to the yeast mixture. Allow to activate.
- Combine flour, salt, pumpkin spice, and remaining sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
- When the yeast mixture is frothy, add it to a stand mixer bowl, or large mixing bowl.
- Using the dough hook on a stand mixer (or spoon for regular bowl) slowly stir in the dry ingredients.
- Add in pumpkin puree and the egg.
- Knead dough for 5 minutes either with hands or dough hook.
- Place the dough in a warm dry location and allow it to double in size. (About 1 hour)
To make the filling
- Combine white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
To assemble the rolls
- When the dough has risen, punch down and place on a well-floured surface.
- Roll the dough out to a 16"x 20" rectangle. Spread the softened butter (1/4 cup) over the dough. Sprinkle the sugar/spice mixture over the butter.
- Roll the dough towards you (keeping it tight). When you reach the end, flip it over the roll and pinch to seal. Turn the seam side down.
- Cut a bit off of each uneven end. Then cut 12 even rolls with a sharp knife or piece of dental floss.
- Place the rolls in a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Cover and place in a warm/dry location until rolls have doubled in size.
To make frosting
- Combine powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter, maple syrup, and half and half in a large mixing bowl. Whip until smooth and fluffy. Set aside.
When rolls are double in size, preheat the oven to 350.
- Bake rolls in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Spread frosting over the rolls and serve immediately.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published October 7th, 2020 10:54 AM