Blueberry-Lemon Sweet Rolls
One of my FAVORITE baking ingredients is definitely lemon. The added freshness that lemons provide in so many of my recipes is undeniable. But it's the FLAVOR I simply cannot resist! Seriously. I should buy stock in lemons for as much as I use them. A squeeze in my morning water, a spritz or two over chicken and pasta, and yes, lots and lots of lemon in many of my sweet treats. Likes these Blueberry-Lemon Sweet Rolls, which wouldn't be half as delicious as they are without the tartness of those yellow orbs of sunshine!
But this time it isn't just the frosting that is infused with that lemony goodness.
Blueberry-Lemon Sweet Rolls
For Sweet Roll Dough
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup white sugar (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (More for rolling out)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries **if frozen-don't thaw
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon half and half
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
To Make the Sweet Roll Dough
- Combine milk and butter in a microwave-safe measuring glass. Microwave the mixture for 1 minute. Then 10-second intervals until mixture reaches a temperature of 115° (46°C).
- Pour the yeast into the bowl of a stand mixer. (See notes below if you do not have a stand mixer).
- Pour the milk mixture over the yeast. Stir in 1 Tablespoon of white sugar. Let sit until yeast begins to bubble and appears cloudy and frothy.
- Add the remaining sugar to a medium bowl, along with the flour and salt.
- Pour 1/3 of the dry mixture into the yeast mix and begin stirring with the dough hook attachment.
- Continue mixing and add in the egg.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients.**Dough will be slightly sticky but will begin to pull away from the bowl.
- Continue mixing for 5 minutes. Remove dough from the stand mixer and place in a well-greased bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and place in a warm-dry location until the dough doubles in size. (30 minutes)***If you have a proofing button on your oven this works great!
- Punch down the dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a 24"x 12" rectangle 1/4" thick.
To Make the Sweet Rolls
- Using a spoon spread the lemon curd over the top of the dough. Sprinkle the blueberries over the lemon curd.
- Begin rolling the dough forward from the longest end making sure the roll is tight as you go. Pinch the ends to seal.
- Cut the roll of dough into 12 even pieces using a sharp knife or dental floss.
- Place the rolls into a greased 9x13 pan. Cover the pan and place in a warm dry location until the rolls have doubled in size (1-2 hours)
- Preheat oven to 375, Bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown. Allow to cool before frosting.
To Frost the Sweet Rolls
- Combine frosting ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat or whisk together until smooth.
- Spoon over sweet rolls and spread evenly. Serve.**Can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published January 25th, 2021 5:03 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!
Load more comments
4 of 5 comments
Prep time fails to include the 30 minutes needed in step 9 of making the dough and the second proof time of 1-2 hours for the rolls.
How is prep time only 20 minutes when the dough has to rise for at least 30 ? And did I miss the additional note for those not using a stand mixer ?