People Pot Pie
1 hr 25 min
People Pot Pie is the perfect creepy meal to bring along to a Halloween potluck this year. This meat pie is covered with a pie crust that is shaped to look like a human face. Make a People Pot Pie and freak out your friends and family at the dinner table. Warning- no humans were harmed in the making of this blog post.
Fill a pre-made pie crust with Shepherd's Pie filling (recipe below)
Roll out pie crust and place it on top. Use a fork to make indents along the edge. Sculpt a nose out of more dough and stick it on top. You may have to score the dough on the underside of the nose to help it stick.
Cut slits for the eyes and mouth. Add chopped white onions for the teeth.
Paint an egg wash onto the pie and sprinkle on some bacon bits. Olives are added for the eyes. Bake and sprinkle on cheese.
Now you are ready to serve your People Pot Pie at your next Halloween party or maybe just to your family when they start to act out of line! What does it taste like, you ask? No, it doesn’t taste like chicken, but maybe a little bit like… Soylent Green?
People Pot Pie
- 5 1/4 cups All purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 pound cold butter chopped into pieces
- 1 tsp salt
Meat Pie Filling
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 cup peas
Garnishes for the face
- 2 olives
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp bacon bits
- 1 tsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 slice chopped onion
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl and, using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse pebbles. Using a fork, stir in the water until the dough pulls together, adding additional ice water by the teaspoonful if necessary. Use your hands to knead the dough for a few minutes until it’s smooth and evenly blended.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle and fold it over itself three times like a letter. Repeat this process four times, reshape the dough to a rectangle, and refrigerate until firm, at least 15 minutes. Cut the dough into two pieces. Roll the first piece out and place it in the bottom of the pie pan. Cut away the excess.
- Add the meat pie filling.
- Roll out the second piece of dough and place it on top of the meat filling. Use a fork to press the bottom and top crusts together. Cut slits in the crust for the eyes, and mouth
- Make a nose out of extra dough and use a skewer to make nostril holes. Place on crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees
Meat Pie Filling
- Cook ground beef, onion and garlic on med-high heat in a pan on the stove.
- After meat is cooked add the peas, sweet potato and other seasonings.
- Set temperature to low while you prepare the pie crust.
- Place an olive in each eye slit
- Apply egg wash to the pie face with a pastry brush
- Apply barbecue sauce to the pie face with a pastry brush
- Sprinkle bacon bits and cheese onto the pie face and into the slits.
- Chop onion to look like teeth and place in mouth area.
- Add ketchup or barbecue sauce for flavor and to look like blood!
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published August 28th, 2020 3:05 PM