This hearty lasagna is inspired by the queen of Southern cooking, Paula Dean’s, lots of meat lasagna. It is loaded with two different types if meat and combines three different types of cheese! Talk about indulgent! I added a little sugar to the sauce and fresh basil to give it a slightly sweet and savory twist.
It is the perfect comfort food to kick off fall. And makes enough to feed a crowd or to make for your family on the weekend and have leftovers for the week! It is sure to keep you and your family satisfied!
Fresh basil added to the cottage cheese mixture gives the lasagna a fresh taste!
The combination of Cheddar, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese create an amazing cheesy flavor!
Look at that hearty, cheesy, meaty goodness!
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1lb Italian sausage
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2, 15oz cans tomato sauce
- 1, 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1, 6oz can tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
For the lasagna
- 9 oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1, 5oz package parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1, 5oz package mozzarella cheese
- 1, 5oz package cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
For the sauce
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat
- Add sausage and ground beef, cook until browned
- Add onion and garlic, cook until softened
- Add both cans of tomato sauce, can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and sugar.
- Stir to combine and let simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
For the Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix cottage cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese and basil in a small bowl
- Combine cheddar and mozzarella cheese in a small bowl
- Spread one-fourth of the sauce into a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Place 3 uncooked lasagna noodles on top of sauce.
- Spread one-third of cottage cheese mixture over noodles, top with one-fourth of sauce and one-third of cheese. Repeat layers, ending with sauce, reserving one-third of cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes, top with remaining one-third of cheese and bake for 15 more minutes
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving