Savory Prosciutto and Cheese Rolls
Move over cinnamon rolls! Salty and decadent prosciutto comes together with nutty and creamy Gruyere in these delectable Savory Prosciutto and Cheese Rolls. These are the ultimate celebration of bold flavors and will have everyone reaching for that last pillowy bite.
There's something about the bright and bold tang of Dijon mustard. Whether it's playing supporting actor in a vinaigrette like Roasted Beet and Kale Salad, or tying all of the ingredients together in these scrumptious rolls, it's an ingredient that brings a dish instantly alive.
Savory Prosciutto and Cheese Rolls pack a ton of flavor with minimal effort. Using a grocery store shortcut, these come together in less than an hour from creation to baking. Skip making dough from scratch and just pick up a bag of your grocery store pizza dough!
- Pizza Dough - You can find great ready to use pizza dough in most grocery store bakeries. Treat it like homemade and allow it to rest and come to room temperature before rolling out.
- Maille Original Dijon - Smooth and creamy, yet bold and bright, this adds a pop of flavor to the savory rolls themselves and also the sweet and tangy honey-mustard butter topping. For over 270 years Maille has used the highest quality ingredients to create products allowing you to make each meal a true experience. This is a traditional French mustard that dates back to 1747 when Maille was founded.
- Prosciutto - Salty, savory, and irresistible, this brings a burst of flavor to every bite of these fluffy rolls.
- Gruyere - A little nutty, Gruyere is the perfect melting cheese that pairs well with both mustard and prosciutto.
- Butter - Used to create the honey-Dijon glaze.
- Honey - The sweetness of the honey balances al of the savory flavors while also helping the rolls to lightly brown.
- Thyme - Bright and citrusy, this adds herbaceous freshness.
- Rosemary - Gives a woodsy, fresh note to these prosciutto rolls.
How to Make Savory Prosciutto and Cheese Rolls
These savory cheesy rolls will have your friends and family thinking you spent all day in the kitchen! However, with just a few ingredients and less than an hour, you can bake up the perfect appetizer, savory side, or cheesy bite to serve just because.
Time needed: 45 minutes.
- PrepSet your pizza dough out and allow it to come to room temperature. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- RollRoll out your pizza dough. Spread the mustard on the dough, leaving a little boarder.
LayerLayer the prosciutto on top of the mustard, followed by the Gruyère.
FormRoll the dough from the long side, forming a log. Slice your rolls into one-inch rounds and place into a cast iron pan.
ButteryWhisk together the butter, honey, remaining mustard, and herbs. Pour over the top of the rolls.
BakeAllow the rolls to bake for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown and puffed. Enjoy them while warm!
Prosciutto and Gruyere are a classic pairing. However, you can switch out other varieties of cheese in this recipe to mix up the flavor profile. Any good melting cheese will work well in this recipe such as a sharp cheddar, Jarlsberg, Emmentaler, and Fontina.
You can also swap the prosciutto for serrano ham, or even a good quality ham. The flavor profile will be a little different, but it will pair perfectly with the Dijon mustard.
Using a cast iron skillet makes these savory rolls able to go from oven to table. It's even heat distribution helps them brown while also being able to handle the higher heat. If your cast iron skillet isn't well seasoned make sure to lightly oil it prior to adding your rolls.
While these are delicious warm fresh out of the oven, they are equally as good served up the next day. They will stay fresh for 3-4 days if stored in an airtight container. You can reheat them at a low temperature in the oven or warm them up in the microwave.
Top Tip for Savory Prosciutto and Cheese Rolls
Using store bought pizza dough makes this recipe easy to make any day of the week. However just like homemade pizza dough, you want to allow it to rest and come to room temperature before rolling it out. This allows the glutens in the dough to relax and instead of having to fight it to roll out it makes it easier to work with.
Savory Prosciutto and Cheese Rolls
- ▢ 1 lbs store bough pizza dough, rested
- ▢ 3 tbsp Maille Original Dijon mustard, divided
- ▢ 4 slices prosciutto
- ▢ 2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- ▢ 4 tbsp butter, melted
- ▢ 2 tbsp honey
- ▢ 1 tsp fresh thyme
- ▢ 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- ▢ Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- ▢ Roll out your pizza dough.
- ▢ Spread 2 tablespoons of the Dijon mustard onto the dough, leaving a slight boarder.
- ▢ Place the prosciutto on top of the mustard.
- ▢ Sprinkle the cheese over the prosciutto.
- ▢ From the long side, roll the dough tightly into a log.
- ▢ Slice the dough into 1" rolls. There should be 8.
- ▢ Place the rolls into a cast iron skillet or baking dish.
- ▢ Whisk together the melted butter, honey, remaining 1 tbsp of Dijon, and herbs.
- ▢ Pour the butter mixture over the top of the rolls.
- ▢ Allow the rolls to bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they're lightly golden brown.
- ▢ Serve warm and enjoy!
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!