5-Ingredient Beef Pie
This hearty and super easy 5-Ingredient Beef Pie takes one hour to make from start to finish. It's a picky eater and meat eater's delight. Serve alone or with a side of salad or greens for a fantastic family meal.
My husband is a picky eater, so mealtime can be a challenge if I want to make one dish that everybody would eat. This savory pie consists of a seasoned ground beef and instant mashed potato filling. The flaky pie crust...well that’s store bought! No need to fuss.
The simple and convenient ingredients make this pie a quick and easy meal to get on the table any night of the week. It’s filling and leaves everyone feeling satisfied.
The original blog post can be found here.
5-Ingredient Beef Pie
- 1 3/4 to 2 pounds 93% lean ground beef
- 1 envelope (1.1 oz) + 2 leveled tablespoons beefy onion soup and dip mix
- 3/4 cup sour cream and chives instant mashed potato mix*
- 1 1/4 cup milk + 1 tablespoon to brush on crust
- 2 store bought refrigerated pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Preheat a 12-inch nonstick skillet on medium high. Add ground beef. Brown, breaking up meat as it cooks, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in onion soup/dip mix. Slowly stir in 1 1/4 cup milk. Add instant potato. Stir to incorporate. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly for a few minutes.
- Place pie crust in a pie plate. Add pie filling. Top with the second crust. Fold edges over the bottom crust, pressing together to seal. Flute the edges. Brush the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon milk. Slice air vents on crust using a pointed knife.
- Bake on the lower half of the oven until the crust is golden, about 35-40 minutes. Serve hot.
- * Do not use more than 3/4 cup of instant mashed potatoes. It will make the filling overly thick.
- If using a fattier cut of ground beef, you might get a lot of liquid in the pan after browning. Drain off most, leaving about 3 tablespoons in the skillet.
- If you have more time, allow the filling to cool as long as you can prior to placing it into the pie crust. This allows for a firmer bottom crust once cooked. If you are short on time, pour filling into the crust hot. It will work just fine!
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published February 15th, 2021 9:12 AM
Is there something else you could substitute the instant potato with? If you allotted yourself more time?