So a few weeks ago I posted about my new favorite bread recipe, the Italian Garlic Loaf. It’s soft, flavorful, a little crispy on the outside… everything a good slice of bread should be. It actually reminded me of Subway’s bread, which got me to thinking- why not make my own sub sandwich? Only better, because… we’re not going to use a grimy microwave to heat this up!
This Italian sub is loaded with various meats, Provolone cheese, pesto, Banana Peppers, and Tomatoes. It’s just savory and hearty in all the right places!
It can be served hot and melty or cold and crisp- it’s totally your call! This would be great for a hearty lunch or dinner, and it would be easy to double the bread recipe and grab a few more of the topping ingredients and serve it to a large group!
Let me know if you make this by commenting below, or tagging me @theflouredcountertop. Don’t forget to pin this recipe to use for later, too!
- 1 Batch Italian Garlic Loaf
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 small Tomato (sliced)
- 8-10 slices Ham lunch meat
- 8-10 slices Salami lunch meat
- 6- 8 slices Provolone Cheese
- 10- 12 slices of Banana Peppers
- 1/3 cup Pesto
- Start by cutting the cooled Italian Garlic Loaf in half, lengthwise. If you wish to make this a hot sandwich, preheat your oven to 375º. or you can skip this step and serve it cold.
- Feel free to build your sandwich however you'd like, or follow the next few steps.
- On the bottom, spread the 1/4 cup of Mayo, salt and pepper to taste, then the sliced tomato on top of it. Then layer your chosen amount of Ham, Salami, Provolone Cheese and Sliced Banana Peppers. spread 1/3 cup of Pesto onto the top side of the bun.
- If serving hot, place the entire sandwich on a large baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Slice into 3-4 sandwiches. Enjoy!
So you bake the Italian garlic loaf first? Do you buy this with the garlic and cheese already on it. Guess I could make my own? Just trying to figure it out since I don't buy it pre-made. Thanks.