If you've never tried or even heard of pork larb, get ready for an exciting new dish that is going to liven up your weeknights. Pork Larb is the national dish of Laos and consists of lean pork mince cooked quickly with vibrant and fragrant ingredients such as lemongrass, lime, ginger, chillies, fresh herbs and more.
Not only is it packed with exotic flavour, it only takes 15 minutes to make and is super healthy... What's not to love?
Healthy, quick to make and full of flavour. Try this pork larb for something different this week.
First, fragrant a fragrant medley of lemongrass, lime zest, ginger, garlic, chillies and spring onions are stir fried.
Then pork is added which is cooked in with the citrus flavours.
Finally the cooked noodles are stirred in and the whole dish is livened up even further with fresh coriander and mint.
The noodles are great served on their own, but I love to serve in crunchy lettuce leaves.
- 500g lean pork mince
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled & grated
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer leaves discarded and the centre finely chopped
- 3 red birdseye chillies, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or spray oil
- 2 tbsps fish sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 100g vermicelli rice noodles
- Handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Handful fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 little gem lettuce heads, leaves picked (optional, to serve)
- Place the vermicelli noodles in a large bowl and pour over just-boiled water. Leave to stand for 10 minutes until softened.
- Meanwhile, heat a large wok until hot and add the oil.
- Add the spring onions, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, chillies and lime zest and stir fry for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the pork mince and stir fry until the mince is cooked.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer until all liquid has evaporated.
- When the noodles are soft, drain and add them to the wok.
- Add the fish sauce, lime juice and salt and toss the noodles well.
- Add in the coriander and mint leaves and toss well again.
- Serve immediately in a bowl or on top of lettuce wraps.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!