Sausage Balls Recipe
This Sausage ball recipe is made with flour and no Bisquick. They’re a classic favorite at our house. Less greasy than the traditional recipe making them perfect for game days, brunch, and holiday get togethers.
The Bisquick recipe for sausage balls was on the back of the box of Bisquick when I was growing up. My mom used Bisquick for everything. I don’t really like the idea of using processed foods so I recreated a sausage ball recipe without Bisquick.
Why you’ll love sausage balls
- They’re a tasty finger food appetizer that can be eaten hot or room temperature!
- The sausage adds a lot of flavor to the melty cheese
- They aren’t greasy
- Great for breakfast, brunch or apps!
Pro tip: You can mix the ingredients with your hands, but if you have a food processor, I highly recommend letting it do the work! It binds all the ingredients and then you just scoop out perfectly shaped balls.
Sausage Balls Recipe
- ▢ 2 cups flour
- ▢ 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ▢ 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ▢ 2 tablespoons butter cold
- ▢ 1 lb. sausage uncooked
- ▢ 8 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and butter to a stand mixer or food processor and mix until butter is incorporated or pinch the butter together with your fingers until it is incorporated into the flour. Add grated cheese and mix. Add sausage a little at a time and mix until it comes together
- Using a 1 tablespoon ice cream scoop, form into balls and place on prepared rack.
- Bake for 15 minutes until slightly browned on the outside. Serve warm.
- If you want a low carb version, try Sausage Balls with Almond Flour
- If making pimento cheese sausage balls, substitute cheddar cheese for 10 ounces of pimento cheese.
- You will get the best results if you grate the cheese instead of buying pre-shredded cheese.
- Use a stand mixer or food processor to combine the ingredients.
- For perfectly shaped balls, use a small ice-cream scoop.
- You can refrigerate the balls prior to baking or freeze once they have been baked.
- To reheat, sprinkle with water and bake at 350º for 5-10 minutes.