Beef Enchilada Casserole
Learn how to make Beef Enchilada Casserole in two easy steps. Easy, budget-friendly, and fulfilling Mexican-style dinner!
Serve this easy casserole with a fresh pico de gallo, guacamole, cornbread, and lime cilantro rice for an easy dinner that’s sure to become everyone’s favorite.
There is a skip-to-recipe button in the top left corner along with a clickable table of contents list (just below) that will quickly take you to the part you are more interested in. Enjoy!
If you love beef recipes you should definitely try these readers' favorite recipes: Old Fashioned Hamburger Casserole, Slow Cooker Massaman Beef Curry and Ground Beef And Cabbage.
Why It's Yummy
- Easy as a pie! The best thing about this recipe is that it is wonderfully simple and easy. It is easier than all this hassle with rolling and filling the tortillas separately.
- You just throw everything together in layers, bake, forget and you’ve got dinner ready in 30 minutes.
- Homemade. For best results make a homemade 15-minute Enchilada Sauce from scratch! Make a double or triple batch as it will last a while!
This family-style beef enchilada casserole is seriously delicious. Easy to meal prep too!
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole and Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada might be the most popular recipes on this blog but for me, personally, the most favorite has been beef enchiladas all the time.
Finally, I got to make this recipe for the blog too. Enjoy!
PIN THIS POST NOW AND SAVE FOR LATER
- Ground Beef - beef cooked in taco spice and the sauce really adds that extra flavor to the beef! You can always substitute the beef to ground turkey or ground chicken too.
- Cheddar cheese – what is an enchilada without cheese? Use sharp cheddar or a mix of grated cheddar and mozzarella. (Monterey jack cheese will also work great here).
- Salt and pepper – depending on which sauce you’ll be using, make sure to taste for salt and pepper during cooking.
- Enchilada sauce – For this recipe, I’ve used my 15 minute Red Enchilada Sauce which is super easy to make. It’s not required though, you can also use your favorite store-bought enchilada sauce. This chicken dish is mildly spicy but you can add chili powder later after you’ve shredded the chicken and returned to the crockpot. Just taste and season with salt and pepper as you go.
- Onion – onion, and garlic are the most essential 2 ingredients in most of my recipes. Brown/yellow onion cooked either together with chicken or cooked separately until translucent and added later to simmer with the vegetables. For me personally, I always like to cook the onion separately for more flavor.
Like recipes with beans? Try these next: Healthy White Bean Chicken Chili, Easy Vegan Chili, Beans and Cornbread.
Gluten Free Cornbread Recipe
Simple Guacamole Recipe (3 ingredient)
Easy Pico De Gallo
Want to make it a full meal? Start your dinner with a little aperitive like this mouthwatering Skinny Watermelon Margarita or serve Spicy Watermelon Basil Margaritas (Frozen) for dessert!
Cook the beef until golden brown, add salt and pepper to taste, drain the fat.
Add taco seasoning, onion, garlic. Cook until onion becomes fragrant and translucent. Set aside.
Casserole assembly. In a greased with oil 9x13 inch casserole (or slightly smaller will work too), add a thick layer of enchilada sauce, a layer of 2 tortillas, ground beef, beans, corn, and cheese.
Next add another layer of tortillas, beef, beans, corn and finish with cheese on top.
Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from the oven and add a layer of mozzarella cheese, bake another 10-15 minutes without foil or until cheese is almost melted and bubbly.
Garnish with sour cream, jalapeno slices, cilantro, cracked black pepper, scallions.
Serve on its own or with a side lime cilantro rice, cornbread, pico de gallo and guacamole, more enchilada sauce.
- Tortillas - I use gluten-free tortillas but if you are looking for a more authentic Mexican enchilada version, try corn tortillas. Some folks have mentioned that corn tortillas tend to overpower the whole dish but it really comes down to personal preference. You can always modify the recipe to your liking.
- Garlic - depending on your location, garlic will vary. If you know that the garlic you have on hand is not strong enough, add 2 more garlic cloves. I have added two large in this recipe. And without garlic or less garlic this recipe will not taste as good as it should!
- Make-ahead tips - cook the beef a day or two before and keep stored in an airtight container until you are ready to bake the enchilada casserole.
- Make it hot. Increase the heat level by adding cayenne pepper, chili flakes to taste (mix it with the sauce).
Serving and Toppings
Like any other Mexican style dish is NOT complete without TOPPINGS.
Let’s see what are the best options for this:
- Diced avocados
- Pico de gallo (authentic Mexican salsa)
- Chile con Queso – a cheesy dip that consists of melted cheese and chili peppers.
- Avocado crema – a mix of avocado, sour cream and lime/lemon juice.
- Hot sauce
- Jalapenos (fresh or marinated/pickled)
- Diced tomatoes
- Cilantro/Coriander chopped or whole leaves
- Lime wedges
- Cherry tomatoes cut in half
- Black olives (pitted & sliced)
- Corn (canned or fresh)
- Cotija cheese or feta cheese
- Sour cream or plain greek yogurt (also coconut yogurt will taste delish!)
- Pickled cabbage
Easy Mexican Dinners
- Vegetarian Enchilada Recipe
- Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Creamy Chicken Tacos
- Easy Vegan Chili Recipe
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada
Family Favorite Casseroles
- Chicken Zucchini Casserole
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Bacon (Breakfast Strata)
- Butternut Squash Broccoli Casserole (Dairy-Free, Vegan)
- Mediterranean Style Chicken Thighs (Baked Casserole)
I hope you'll enjoy this recipe, please leave a rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo of your food and tag me on Instagram @theyummy_bowl. I love seeing your creations!
Thank you for reading,
Beef Enchilada Casserole
- 3 1/2 cups ground Beef 700g
- 4 gf or corn Tortilla 8 inch or 6 small tortillas 4 inch
- 1 brown/yellow onion diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups Enchilada Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella shredded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can beans 15oz
- 1 can corn 15 oz, or frozen
- Cook the beef until golden brown, add salt and pepper to taste, drain the fat.
- Add taco seasoning, onion, garlic. Cook until onion becomes fragrant and translucent.
- Casserole assembly. In a greased with oil 9x13 inch casserole, add a thick layer of enchilada sauce, layer of 2 tortillas, ground beef, beans, corn and cheese.
- Next add another layer of tortillas, beef, beans, corn and finish with cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from the oven and add a layer of mozzarella cheese, bake another 10-15 minutes without foil or until cheese is almost melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with sour cream, jalapeno slices, cilantro, cracked black pepper, scallions.
- Serve on it’s own or with a side lime cilantro rice, cornbread, pci ode gallo and guacamole, more enchilada sauce.