Simple Kale Fried Rice
This Simple Kale Fried Rice is one of my all time favorite recipes. Not only is this fried rice super comforting, it’s made with mostly pantry ingredients and makes excellent use of all the white rice I almost always have in my fridge . lol .. no but seriously, this kale fried rice tastes so good, saves me money and cleans out my fridge!! – what’s not to love??
Mise En Place for Kale Fried Rice:
- Cutting board
- Chefs knife
- Hand grater
- Measuring spoons
- Small prep bowls – for ingredients
- Wok or large pan with high sides
- Leftover white rice
- Soy Sauce
- Vegetable oil
Let’s make this Simple Kale Fried Rice!
First things first, affix your cutting board to a flat surface, using a damp paper towel placed underneath.
Dice the onion, slice the green onions, mince (or grate) the garlic and ginger. Wash and chop your kale or just buy the kale already washed and chopped from the supermarket. Scramble the eggs and measure out the rest of the ingredients. Make sure to prep everything and have them in separate prep bowls, ready to go. (the garlic and ginger can share the same little prep bowl)
This is gonna be fast but simple, so hold on to your hats! Place your wok or pan over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil.
Add the onions and stir fry until the onion softens up, around 2 minutes or so. Add the ginger and garlic, stir fry until fragrant.. about 30 seconds.
Throw in the kale and stir fry until the kale has wilted somewhat. Now add the leftover white rice . Stir fry until it’s all mixed together.
Move the rice to one side of the wok and add the scrambled eggs to the cleared side. Let the eggs set halfway then scramble it up.
Mix the rice back in and add the soy sauce, start with 2 tbsp, if its not salty enough for you then add the other tbsp of soy sauce. Throw in the green onions and you’re done!
You can serve this simple kale fried rice alongside any protein like my Herb Marinated Roast Chicken or eat as is. My fave way to serve this up though is with a yolky fried egg on top and smothered in chili oil – yum!!
What type of kale should I use?
- both curly and lacinato (flat leaf) kale can be used interchangeably.
Whats a good sub for kale?
- any hard leafy green that wilts but still keeps its texture will work. ie Swiss chard.
Why is leftover rice good for stir fries?
- leftover rice is best because it has dried out and won’t become mushy in the frying process like fresh rice. Read more about why as well as how to use fresh rice to mimic leftover rice in this article by The Tasting Table here.
How long does fried rice last in the fridge?
- Fried rice if properly stored in an air tight container will last 5-7 days in the fridge. If frozen it can last 6 months.
Simple Kale Fried Rice
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 white onion, medium dice
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger , minced or grated
- 1 Tbsp garlic , minced or grated
- 3 cups washed and chopped kale
- 3 cups leftover white rice
- 3 eggs, scrambled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 -3 Tbsp soy sauce*
- salt and pepper to taste , if needed
optional: serve with
- Fried egg
- Chili oil
- Place wok over high heat and add oil
- When hot, add the onion and stir fry until its soft
- Add the ginger and garlic. stir-fry for 30 seconds
- Add kale, stir-fry till tender and slightly wilted
- Add the rice, stir fry until it's all mixed through.
- Move the rice to the side of the wok and add the eggs on the cleared side.
- Let the egg set a little on the bottom, then scramble.
- Incorporate the egg into the rice.
- Stir fry the rice mix and add the soy sauce and green onions.
- Top with fried egg and chili oil.
- Taste the rice after the addition of 2 tbsp of soy sauce. If you think it needs more than add the other tbsp.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!