A classic Italian dish that is beloved around the world, this lasagne recipe follows the classic neapolitan way of making a lasagne, using a rich pork ragu, fresh pasta and plenty of mozzarella!
This really is a celebration of simple, classic Italian flavours that the whole family will enjoy. It is the perfect type of dish to serve "family style" in the middle of the table for everyone to tuck into and enjoy. I recommend serving this with a simple, crisp Italian side salad and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Some slices of crusty bread are also great for dipping into the ragu and cheese leftover on the plate!
A classic neopolitan lasagne that is perfect for sharing.
This dish consists of a rich Ragu that is slow cooked for 2 hours before the lasagne is assembled.
Layers of fresh pasta, rich Ragu and gooey mozzarella and parmesan.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 500g minced pork
- 400g pork sausage meat
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 200ml dry white wine
- 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 500g fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 170g grated parmesan
- 250g fresh egg lasagne sheets
For the ragu
- Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan until hot.
- Add the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the minced pork and sausage meat and brown fully, then continue to cook on a low heat for 10 mins until all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped tomatoes in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the white wine to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until almost all of the wine has evaporated.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan along with a good pinch of salt and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pan loosely and leave to simmer for 2 hours.
For the lasagne
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Spread 1/3 of ragu in the bottom of a casserole dish and top with one layer of lasagne sheets, overlapping to create a seal.
- Add another 1/3 of the ragu on top of the pasta, followed by 1/3 of the mozzarella and 1/3 of the parmesan.
- Place another layer of lasagne sheets on top, then top with the remaining ragu, 1/3 mozzarella and 1/3 parmesan.
- Finish the lasagne with a final layer of lasagne sheets and then top with the remaining cheeses.
- Cover the lasagne with tin foil and bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake uncovered for a further 15 minutes until the topping is crisp and golden.