Creamy Tomato Orzo
Have you been looking for an easy and delicious side dish?! Give this creamy, tomato orzo a try!
Orzo pasta is something that I don’t often think about when I am creating recipes or planning meals, and I do not know why. It is versatile, quick and easy to prepare. So this past weekend I started researching orzo pasta recipes to go with Greek, turkey meatballs I was planning to make.
I ended up stumbling upon a spinach parmesan orzo recipe, which gave me the inspiration to make this tomato, feta and parmesan orzo pasta recipe.
This recipe is so simple and doesn’t require a lot of time standing over the stove, which is exactly what this mama needs! It is the perfect side dish to any steak, chicken, fish or turkey recipe or could even be a great vegetarian main dish.
The parmesan and feta cheese create a creamy consistency to this orzo pasta dish.
Cook the onions, garlic and tomatoes until softened. Then add the orzo pasta stirring until it is fully coated in the olive oil.
After adding the chicken stock and milk, you can cover and leave the dish alone to simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed. This frees up time in the kitchen to prepare other parts of your meal.
This dish serves up to 10, 1/2 cup servings, which makes it great for feeding a crowd or for leftovers throughout the week.
Creamy Tomato Orzo
- 12oz, uncooked Orzo pasta
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. Garlic
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 2-3 minutes
- Add tomatoes and cook until slightly tender, about 2 minutes
- Add orzo and stir until coated in oil
- Add chicken broth and milk, bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer and cover.
- Simmer on low for about 10-15 min (until liquid is absorbed), stirring occasionally
- Stir in parmesan and feta cheese