Easy Creamy Tomato Soup
1 hr 10 min
Cold weather calls for comforting food, and the ultimate comfort food happens to be a bowl of this easy creamy tomato soup!
This easy creamy tomato soup will warm your soul, with the right amount of spice, tang, and of course creamy goodness. I happen to be a huge fan of a certain bakery’s tomato soup – Panera, I’m looking at you. After much trial and error, I came up with the perfect substitute so I can have tomato soup on demand – yes please!
Ingredients You will Need:
- Fresh tomatoes
- Canned Tomatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Half and Half Cream
- Red Chilli Flakes
Equipment You Will Need:
- Dutch Oven
- Immersion Blender
- Sheet Pan
The final product! Best served with a grilled cheese, or garlic parmesan croutons.
This is what your roasted vegetables should look like, before going into the pot.
A closeup of the creamy consistency!
Easy Creamy Tomato Soup
- 4 Roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup Grape tomatoes, whole
- 2 Shallots, roughly chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, peeled and whole
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 800g (28oz) can Whole tomatoes
- 1/2 of a 900mL carton Chicken Broth
- 2 tsp Red chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup Half and half cream
- 1 stem Fresh basil
- Sugar depending on the tartness of your tomatoes; I start at 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the vegetables: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a sheet pan, arrange the halved tomatoes, grape tomatoes, shallots and whole garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil (or cooking spray to make WW friendly), and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Simmer the soup: In a dutch oven over medium heat, add the roasted vegetables, basil stem and canned tomatoes. Add the chicken broth, and let come to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Blend: Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until the onions, garlic and tomatoes are smooth and to your desired consistency.
- Finishing: Add the red chilli flakes, sugar, and salt and pepper. Add the half and half cream, and combine well. Let the soup simmer for another 5 minutes, and serve!
- 2 WW Purple Points
- The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love! By purchasing the products I link, you help me continue to bring delicious recipe ideas to your kitchen!
- Shop my kitchen favourites and more here and here
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published November 26th, 2020 5:08 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!
Load more comments
8 of 13 comments
Sounds good but I don’t have this kind of time for a lunch time tomatoe soup! Maybe for a weekend but that’s it
Can you freeze the cooked tomato soup?