Baked Oats (vegan) - 14 Flavors!
Vegan-baked oats are like eating a healthy cake in the morning. Blending the oats results in a light and fluffy texture, similar to a cake, when baked. This recipe is dairy free and made without eggs.
Blended baked oats are the best thing since sliced bread. Seriously! The flavor combinations are as versatile as traditional oatmeal, and these baked oats can be made in less than three minutes (mind blown).
If you are like me and not too up on TikTok, you might not have heard of blended baked oats. Blended baked oats are a trend that swept the internet, thanks to Tiktokers. For a good reason, the simple trick of using a blender to create oat flour and adding baking soda and banana results in a cake-like texture. In other words, would you like cake for breakfast? Yes, please!
Not be ready to have your mind blown even more, cook these oats in a microwave, and they are ready in just 90 seconds! Of course, you can bake them in an oven or even cook them in an air fryer; I have included instructions for all three methods.
Speaking of preference, you can create all types of flavors and flavor combinations. I have provided several ideas below. But just like regular oatmeal, flavor these baked oats your favorite way! My favorite flavor combination is the "Sunday ice cream" baked oats. Chocolate syrup, nuts, and sprinkles. Not the healthiest version, but it is the best, IMHO.
Why Youll Love This Vegan Baked Oatmeal
- Perfect for meal prepping.
- Blended oats are smooth and taste like you are eating cake.
- Healthy, easy, and delicious breakfast (Try paring with carrot juice in the morning)
- Baked oats were a TikTok trend for a reason; they are easy to make and delicious!
Tips to Make the Best Blended Oats
- Baking Powder - This key ingredient results in the oats rising into a cake-like texture. For best results, always use fresh baking powder.
- Grease the Ramakin - Remember to grease the ramakin; the oats can be removed cleanly, and it is easier to clean.
- High-Speed Blender - A high-speed blender will create the finest flour-like substance, which makes the oats cake-like.
- Use the Right Oats - I like oat flour; it is already ground and makes the mixing easier. If you blend the oats yourself, always use rolled oats or old-fashioned oats. Steel-cut oats do not have the same texture or cake-like result.
How to Store Baked Oats
Countertop storage instructions: Place in an airtight container and store on the counter for up to 2 days at room temperature.
Refrigerator storage instructions: Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Allow the oats to cool fully. Place in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make baked oatmeal ahead of time? Yes, you absolutely can. The oats, except strawberries, can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days. You can also store baked oats in the freezer for up to three months. When freezing, I recommend not topping it with fresh fruit.
Are baked oats good for you? Yes, they are very good for you. However, they can quickly be not so good for you, depending on what ingredients you add for flavor.
Can I freeze-baked oatmeal? Yes, you absolutely can. Once the oats are done baking, allow them oats to cool fully. Place in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months
Can I use steel-cut oats for the recipe? This recipe only works with rolled, old-fashioned, or oat flour. The texture of steal cut oats will not create a fluffy cake-like texture.
Baked Oats (vegan) - 14 Flavors!
- ▢ 1/2 cup rolled oats, old-fashioned oats, or oat flour
- ▢ 1/2 banana mashed
- ▢ 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- ▢ 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ▢ 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ▢ 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Step One: Prep - Grease an 8 oz heat-safe ramekin with non-stick spray or oil. If cooking in the oven, preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Step Two: Blend - Place all the base ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. Add the inclusions according to the correlating instructions. Poor into a greased ramekin.
- Step Three: Follow the correlating instructions for your desired cooking method.
- *Microwave Instructions - Heat on high for 2 minutes (note the time might need to be adjusted depending on your microwave.)
- *Air fryer Instructions - place in the air fryer for 15-20 minutes at 180C/350F
- *Oven Instructions- Place in an oven heated to 350°F/175°C and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Apple - Substitute applesauce for banana. Top with a small handful of diced apples.
- Blueberry - Pour the batter into the ramekin and top with a handful of blueberries.
- Chocolate - Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients and blend.
- Chocolate Chip - After pouring the batter into the ramekin, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of miniature chocolate chips.
- Biscoff - Add 1 tablespoon of Bischoff to the dry ingredients and blend.
- Vegan Nutella - Add 1 tablespoon of vegan Nutella to the dry ingredients and blend.
- Peanut butter - Add 1 tablespoon of peanut butter to the dry ingredients and blend.
- *Note: all measurements are for one serving and correlate with the recipe.
- Flavor Combinations:
- Apple Cinnamon - Substitute 2 tablespoons of apple sauce for the banana. Add apple sauce and cinnamon to the dry ingredients and blend.
- Apple Strawberry - Substitute 2 tablespoons of apple sauce for the banana and blend as normal. Pour batter into a ramekin and top with diced strawberries (Note, once cooked, the strawberries will store for a day.)
- Lemon Blueberry - Add one teaspoon of lemon zest to the dry ingredients and blend. Pour the batter into the ramekin, top with a handful of blueberries, and bake.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chocolate Chip - Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter to the dry ingredients and blend.. Sprinkle a handful of chocolate chips on top.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly - Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to the dry ingredients and blend. Top with your favorite jelly and bake.
- Pumpkin Spice - Substitute 2 teaspoons of pumpkin puree for the banana. Add the pumpkin puree and a dash of pumpkin spice to the dry ingredients and blend.
- Storing Baked Oats:
- Countertop storage instructions: Place in an airtight container and store on the counter for up to 2 days at room temperature.
- Refrigerator storage instructions: Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freezing: Allow the oats to cool fully. Place in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.