Fajita Shakshuka is a fusion dish that combines the bold flavours of Mexican fajitas with the rich and savoury tomato-based sauce of Middle Eastern shakshuka. This dish is packed with protein and veggies, making it a healthy and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The tender strips of juicy chicken, bell peppers, and onions are cooked in a delicious blend of spices, including cumin, chili powder, and paprika. The eggs are then poached in this flavorful mixture, creating a delicious and comforting meal that is perfect for sharing with friends and family. With its bold and exciting flavors, Fajita Shakshuka is sure to become a new family favourite. Follow this easy recipe to create a mouth-watering Fajita Shakshuka that is bursting with flavor and goodness.
- tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, preferably mixed colours, cut into long slices
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tin of black beans or kidney beans
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 8 eggs
- sprinkling of feta (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
- Bread or tortilla, to serve
- Heat a non stick shallow pan and add the onions and peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened. Add the garlic and spices and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the beans and tinned tomatoes and stir. Let simmer gently for 5 minutes until the water has evaporated. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Make 8 small wells into the sauce, and carefully break one eggs into each. Let cook for around 6-7 minutes until the white is set but the yolk is runny. Using a lid can help this.
- Sprinkle over the coriander, and feta (if using). Serve immediately with bread to soak up the shave and avocado on top.