Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is oh so creamy and full of minty flavor! Think Andes Mint! Oh, and did I mention this recipe is naturally sweetened? Add a handful of fresh spinach for a sneaky health boost and a beautiful green color.
How to this recipe
The first step in making this homemade fresh mint chocolate chip ice cream is to place the full-fat coconut milk, maple syrup, fresh mint, fresh spinach, vanilla extract, and salt into a blender. Blend on medium and then slowly work up to blending on high until everything is well combined.
Second, pour the ice cream into an electric ice cream maker or use my "stir and freeze method." Allow freezing then scoop out into a stainless steel bowl. Lastly, fold in the cacao nibs (or chopped chocolate chips!) and either place them back into the freezer to enjoy at another time or grab a spoon and eat right away!
How to make this recipe without an electric ice cream maker
If you do not have an electric ice cream maker, the "freeze and stir" method works great! Simply mix all the ingredients together in a freezer-safe bowl. Place in the freezer then stir every 30 minutes until completely frozen. The ice cream will take a little longer to freeze but is a great alternative and requires little work.
My favorite ice cream maker
If you're in the market for an ice cream maker, my recommendation is to buy the electric Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. It is the one I use and love! It holds 2-quarts of ice cream, freezes ice cream in about twenty minutes, and has a super easy clean-up. What more can you ask for?!
This recipe can be made using pitted Medjool dates for a sugar free option. Add a handful of dates, about 4-5, to the blender when blending to combine.
You can easily adjust this recipe to use different non-dairy milk like almond milk or cashew milk. Just replace the coconut milk with your preferred milk. Just a little side note that coconut milk is very creamy. The recipe may come out a bit icy or not as creamy if there is a substitution, but it will still taste amazing!
How to store ice cream
Store the frozen ice cream in a freezer-safe container with an airtight container such as these reusable pint ice cream containers that are also dishwasher safe. Alternatively, store the ice cream in a glass container such as a Pyrex, cover with plastic wrap, then place a lid on top. This will ensure minimal air exposure and help keep the ice cream stay fresh for longer. The ice cream will last about one month tightly covered in the freezer.
Ice cream cookies sandwiches
Who doesn't love ice cream cookie sandwiches?! To change up this recipe a bit, make my vegan Hot Chocolate Cookies without the marshmallows (trust me, they are amazing!). Allow the cookies to cool completely then add a scoop of the fresh mint ice cream on one cookie then add another cookie on top and gently press down. You can chop up some chocolate or cacao nibs and roll the sides of the ice cream cookie for a decorated look and added chocolate. YUM!
Looking for more vegan ice cream recipes? Make sure to check out this Strawberry Ice Cream, Vanilla Ice Cream, or Cookies & Cream Milkshake.
Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 packed cup fresh mint leaves
- handful of spinach
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- Combine all the ingredients except for the cacao nibs into a blender and blend on medium-high until everything is well combined and smooth.
- If you are using the "freeze and stir" method, pour the ice cream base into a loaf pan and place it in the freezer. Remove the pan from the freezer every 30 minutes or so and stir. Continue doing this until the ice cream is half frozen. Once half-frozen, remove the pan from the freezer and fold in the cacao nibs. Place the pan back into the freezer and allow to become completely frozen before serving.
- If you are using an electric ice cream maker, add the ice cream base to the frozen drum of the mixer. Turn on and wait about twenty minutes or until the ice cream is frozen but still soft. Scoop the ice cream out of the ice cream maker and into a stainless steel bowl. Gently fold in the cacao nibs. Place the ice cream back into the drum to continue freezing or place in a loaf pan and allow to continue freezing in the freezer.
- Once frozen, scoop some of the ice cream into a bowl and enjoy!
I can't tell how much maple syrup. Please retype that line.
What are cacao nibs and where to buy them