Easy Mint Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
These mint brownie ice cream sandwiches come together so easily with boxed mix brownies and store-bought mint chocolate chip ice cream! With my assembly tips below, you can have the most delicious brownie ice cream sandwiches any time of year! With only two ingredients and minimal prep time, you can have these in the freezer anytime you're in the mood for some chocolate or a frozen treat. Store them away in ziplock bags and pull out for unexpected guests or even a yummy afternoon snack. Add a personal touch with your favorite brownie mix, cookie mix, and ice cream flavor! You can’t go wrong with these homemade ice cream sandwiches.
This post contains affiliate links. This means I may earn a commission should you choose to make a purchase using my link. It’s okay – I love and use all of these products, and you will too!
I thought that it might be nice to create a recipe with simple and minimal ingredients for those who don’t bake so often! I always have a good stash of baking staples because I am constantly working on new recipes. But let’s be honest – not everyone makes a homemade baked dessert each week!
These gooey mint brownie ice cream sandwiches are made using a boxed brownie mix and store bought ice cream! With a few tricks, you can turn two ordinary desserts into one delicious ice cream treat! Read on for my tips on how to make these delicious brownie ice cream sandwiches. They’re great any time of year!
How to Make Easy Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
You can certainly make these ice cream sandwiches with your favorite homemade brownie recipe. The result will be just as delicious! But for this recipe, I wanted things to be super duper simple, so I decided to go with a boxed mix instead!
My all-time favorite boxed mix brownies are the Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate brownies. They taste just like homemade and you can whip them up in about five minutes! So easy. They’re gooey and so chocolatey – perfect for any chocolate lover! But of course, feel free to use your favorite brownie mix for these!
Now, when it comes to making these ice cream sandwiches, you will need to do a few creative things to get just the right thickness of brownies and size for the ice cream sandwiches. But keep on reading for my tips!
Tips for the Best Mint Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- You can use your favorite boxed brownie mix or make your favorite homemade mix for these ice cream sandwiches. All brownie recipes are a bit different, but I would recommend baking your brownies in a pan that is double the size that that recipe calls for (or splitting the recipe into two pans). This will give you ultra-thin brownies, which are perfect for these ice cream sandwiches! I used a 9×13 inch pan for mine.
- Be sure not to overbake your brownies. We are going for slightly underdone here! This makes them much easier to eat after they have been frozen. For the baking time on your brownies, I would start with cutting the time on the back of the box in half and then monitoring the brownies as they bake! Brownies are done when the edges are set and the middle is still slightly gooey.
- Use a square cookie cutter to cut your brownies and ice cream portions! This made assembling the sandwiches a breeze. And my OCD self was very happy that they were all the same size! I purchased this set of 3 cookie cutters off of Amazon so that I could have a variety of sizes to choose from!
- Be sure to freeze your assembled brownie ice cream sandwiches for at least a couple of hours so that they have time to set. But if you really can’t wait, go ahead and dig in! They will just be a bit messy.
If you want to get creative with these ice cream sandwiches, use whatever ice cream is your favorite! The next time I make these, I might try a coffee ice cream. Yum!
I hope that you enjoy making these easy mint brownie ice cream sandwiches! I posted these in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, but they would really be delicious any time of year!
If you’re looking for other St. Patrick’s Day recipes, check out my Irish Coffee Cake or Coffee Stout Brownies!
And if you’re in the mood for more chocolate, then check out my Double Dark Chocolate Cupcakes or my Swirled Salted Caramel Skillet Brownie!
As always, be sure to tag me in your photos on Instagram if you make my recipe or use in your photos! I love to see what you are baking.
Easy Mint Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 boxed brownie mix (or your favorite homemade recipe)
- 1½ quarts store-bought mint chocolate chip ice cream (or your favorite ice cream)
For the Brownies
- Preheat oven based on the instructions on the back of your boxed mix brownies and line a baking pan with parchment paper, letting the extra paper hang off of the sides of the pan. Use a baking pan that is double the size of what the boxed mix brownies call for (I used a 9×13 inch pan for my Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate brownie mix).
- Mix up your brownie mix based on the instructions on the back of the box. If you live at high altitude, follow the adjustments on the back of the box.
- Start by baking your brownies for half of the time called for on the back of the box and monitor the brownies until they are just slightly underdone. This will make them easier to eat when they are frozen!
- Remove brownies from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Once brownies are cooled, remove from the pan using the extra parchment paper hanging from the sides of the pan. Using a 2-inch square cookie cutter (or any size you'd like), cut squares of brownies out. Place on a baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour.
- Remove brownies from the freezer.
- Cut and peel the carton off of the ice cream and set the ice cream on its side. Using a sharp knife, cut slices of ice cream to desired thickness (mine were about 1½ inches thick).
- Using the same square cookie cutter that you used for the brownies, cut squares of ice cream. Set ice cream square on top of one chilled brownie square, and then top with another square. Gently press together.
- Once assembled, return all brownie ice cream sandwiches to the freezer to chill for 2 hours or more before serving. Enjoy!
- Use any brownie mix and ice cream that you like! I used the Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate brownie mix and Turkey Hill All Natural Mint Chip ice cream
- Store brownie sandwiches in a freezer bag in the freezer for up to one month