Instant Pot Corned Beets
If you’re looking for a delicious and hearty vegan Reuben sandwich recipe, you’ll love this meat-free Reuben. Made with Instant Pot corned beets, this sandwich is perfect if you are not a vegan meat fan.
This recipe will blow your mind, and it’s healthy too! The red beets are sliced thin on a mandolin, and I recommend that you pile them up high like a NYC deli does.
Corned beets are so easy to make in your electric pressure cooker. Just slice, cook in a marinade, and you are set. Plus, you can freeze any extra beets for later.
What is a Meat-free Reuben, Anyhow?
It’s a plant-based variation of the classic Reuben with a few simple vegan ingredient swaps. It’s made with sauerkraut, vegan Swiss cheese, and Russian or Thousand Island dressing.
We take the dairy out of those ingredients with non-dairy cheese and vegan dressing.
The traditional corned beef is replaced with corned beets, but other versions include tofu, tempeh, seitan, or even sweet potatoes!
What does a Reuben Taste Like?
It’s been decades since I had corned beef, but the star of the sandwich was never the meat for me. It’s the tanginess of the sauerkraut, the gooiness of the melted (vegan) cheese, and the melange of flavors from the Russian dressing.
If you make this on rye bread, you get that yummy flavor in every bite too.
What ingredients do I need to make corned beets?
In addition to the most important ingredient, thin slices of beet, you’ll need:
- Vegan beefy bouillon powder recipe – or a mushroom bouillon or mushroom powder. This adds a beefy flavor
- Pickle juice – use some from an open jar
- Worchestershire sauce – make sure it’s vegan! Many contain anchovies.
- Ground ginger
- Mustard powder
- Salt or salt substitute
- Ground black pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Ground coriander
How do I make corned beets?
Use a mandoline to get consistently thin slices of the beet. Add these to your Instant Pot with the marinade.
Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, then manually release the pressure.
If you aren’t using the beets now, store them in the marinade in the fridge.
Ack – I don’t have dressing! What can I do?
Mix up vegan mayo and ketchup until it’s the perfect dark pink color, then add in some pickle relish or chopped pickles. Enjoy!
While I do recommend a mandoline, you can use a sharp knife and cut as thin as you can in a pinch.
This recipe is for an Instant Pot, but you can cook it on the stove, and simmer until the beets are done.
Pro Tip: Search the Amazon Warehouse for amazing deals on kitchen equipment!
Assembling the sandwiches
The preparation process for making the sandwich is easy. Assemble the ingredients around a cutting board.
Your first decision is will you grill them or not. If you are, heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat or get out that panni press you never use – now is its big moment!
I pan fry mine dry, but you can add some vegan butter or even plant-based mayo on the outside of the bread to crisp it up more.
Then layer a slice of vegan cheese, the sauerkraut, the corned beets, some of the dressing. Put on the top piece of bread.
If you grill or not you’ll enjoy this sandwich with a few napkins – it can be messy!
Grilled sandwich tip
It helps to have 2 pieces of cheese – one on the top piece of the bread, and the other on the bottom.
When it gets hot and melts, the cheese helps keep your sandwich from falling apart.
Looking for more vegan sandwich recipes?
Instant Pot Corned Beets
- 1 large red beet peeled and sliced thin using a mandoline (or 1 can young jackfruit in water or brine)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Beefy Bouillon Powder , recipe at https://healthyslowcooking.com/vegan-beef-broth/
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice I used some from a dill pickle jar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or salt substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch ground ginger
- Pinch mustard powder
- Add all the broth ingredients to your instant pot and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Serve on toasted rye (rye swirl if possible) with Russian dressing and sauerkraut
- Gluten-free, soy-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, salt-free option
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!