Vegetarian Creamy Corn and Black Bean Soup
An easy and hearty Vegetarian Creamy Corn and Black Bean Soup with Mexican-inspired flavors made in the Instant Pot and ready in 30 minutes!
This recipe was inspired by: https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/crockpot-mexican-street-corn-chicken-chowder and my sister in law who made a delicious vegetarian version of this for us!
I'm convinced that soups are healing for the body and there's just a magical comfort when you eat a warm bowl of soup. Even though it's January and still 75 degrees here in Houston, I love to make this soup when it’s cold, rainy, or when I need some magical comfort.
This soup is so simple, balanced (has a great mix of vegetables, protein, dairy, and carbs), and requires ingredients you probably already have.
- I used onions, bell peppers, jalapeño (did you know this is actually a fruit?!)
- Frozen corn: you may also use fresh or canned if that's what you have!
- I also add spinach at the end to preserve nutrients.
- Feel free to add any of your favorite vegetables you have in your fridge! Other vegetables I suggest are zucchini and carrots.
- Spices and Extras. Tomato paste, paprika, chili powder, garlic, ground cumin, and salt.
- Black beans. This gives the soup a great hearty flavor and an added source of protein and fiber. You can add an additional can if you like your soup to have additional protein and fiber.
- Dairy. The best part that brings the soup together- freshly shredded cheese and half and half.
- For the cheese, I love using Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese for a cheese that is a great vegetarian rennet option. I always recommend freshly grated block cheese as it combines well and doesn't get clumpy like pre-shredded cheese.
- For the half and half, you are welcome to use whole milk if that's what you have available. It will be slightly less creamy/thick, however, still has makes a wonderful soup!
- In the Instant Pot, saute onions, garlic, and jalapeño then add the tomato paste. Turn the Instant Pot off. Add the bell peppers, corn, seasonings, and vegetable broth.
- Set the Instant Pot for 1 minute (will take about 10 minutes to reach pressure). This gives enough time for the rest of the vegetables to cook thoroughly. After the Instant Pot beeps, quick release the valve.
- Add the black beans, spinach, half and half and shredded cheese.
- Let the soup simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm with your favorite garnishes! Topping options can include: lime, cilantro, hot sauce, sour cream, additional cheese, or avocado.
If you loved this Vegetarian Creamy Corn and Black Bean Soup recipe, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe for my weekly emails at the bottom so you never miss a new recipe!
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Thai Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
- Vegetarian Mexican Casserole
- Vegan Esquites (Mexican Street Corn Salad)
- Crumbled Tempeh Quesadillas
- Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers
Vegetarian Creamy Corn and Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, adjust according to spice level
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 cup packed spinach, chopped
- 1 black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup freshly grated cheese, I used sharp cheddar cheese
- Turn Instant Pot on saute mode. Heat the oil and add the onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño, and saute for 1-2 more minutes. Add the tomato paste and mix until combined well.
- Turn the Instant Pot off. Add the bell peppers, corn, chili powder, paprika, ground cumin, salt, and vegetable broth. Give it a stir and close the Instant Pot lid and set valve to seal.
- Push the "Manual" button on the Instant Pot and set to 1 minute (will take about 10 minutes to reach pressure). After the Instant Pot beeps, quick release the valve.
- Open the lid and turn the Instant Pot back on to "Saute" mode, adjust the pressure to low. Add the black beans, and spinach. Stir in the half and half and shredded cheese.
- Let the soup simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn Instant Pot off and serve warm!
- Topping options can include: lime, cilantro, hot sauce, sour cream, additional cheese, or avocado.
- I highly recommend freshly grating block cheese as it gives a creamy texture versus a clumpy one.
- If you don't have half and half, you may use whole milk. I have used whole milk and it tastes delicious, although a little less creamy.