Vanilla Sugar Cookies
One of my absolute favourite cookies is the sugar cookie. It’s such a delicate cookie, well-flavoured cookie – and ever so versatile! I love to flavour mine with vanilla most of the time, but you can switch it up and use different flavourings (such as almond, orange or even peppermint) for different versions!
My favourite part about making sugar cookies is decorating them as they create the perfect canvas. You can use royal icing for elaborate designs, or keep it simple with some dipped chocolate. The world is absolutely your oyster with these cookies. But what makes them even more special, is they taste perfect on their own with a nice cup of tea!
Cream butter and sugar
Add egg and vanilla
Sift in flour, salt and baking soda and powder.
Mix until dough forms
Transfer dough to clinfilm
Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
Roll out and cut out cookies
Cut into two pieces for ease of rolling
Place onto lined baking tray
Bake until lightly browned
Baked and ready to decorate
Decorate as desired and enjoy!
Vanilla Sugar Cookies
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 450g plain flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Optional: Decorations
- Using a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a wooden spoon, cream butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add egg and vanilla and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Sift flour, salt baking powder and soda into butter, sugar and egg mixture, then mix to combine. The mixture will appear dry at first but keep mixing until a dough forms. Transfer dough onto plastic wrap, wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 C (350 F). Lightly flour your surface then place the chilled dough. Divide into two pieces for ease of rolling - ensuring the other half is wrapped out to prevent drying out whilst working with the first.
- Roll out sugar cookie until about 1/4" or until desired thickness. Lightly dust a cookie cutter with flour then cut out cookies. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Line two baking trays, and place cookies on. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes depending on thickness until just set and very lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool down on baking tray. Dip in chocolate if desired. Enjoy!