Easy Lava Cake Recipe
Raise your hand if you have been intimidated by the popular chocolate lava cakes popping up all over? This easy Lava Cake recipe is so easy though! In less than 25 minutes you will have hot, chocolatey, gooey pudding centered lava cakes on the table.
Let’s take the intimidation out of this elegant dessert! Whether you are making them for Valentine’s day or any special occasion, this is the easy lava cake recipe for you!
You are in luck, check out these reader faves: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake, Mini Chocolate French Silk Pies.
SPECIAL OCCASION MOLTEN LAVA CAKE RECIPE
I made these first awhile back for my chocolate loving son’s birthday! and it didn’t disappoint.
The original which I tweaked slightly is from Sally’s Baking Addiction. This was perfect! To say he liked it would be an understatement! I’m pretty sure he licked his plate.
This easy lava cake recipe uses 7 all-natural ingredients, pure and simple, collect the following ingredients:
- COCOA POWDER | unsweetened, for dusting the ramekins, just a few teaspoons
- SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE* | High quality chopped chocolate bar or high quality chocolate chips are fine but won’t yield quite as gooey a center!
- UNSALTED BUTTER | normally I do not worry about this, but in this recipe, simple is better, keep it unsalted.
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR | I use organic all purpose unbleached flour
- POWDERED SUGAR | also known as confectioners sugar or icing powder
- SALT | regular fine, table salt works best here
- EGGS | provides the lift for the gooey-goodness; you will need both egg yolks and whole eggs, I always use Large eggs in baking. See notes below regarding how to make eggless.
*Use a good quality chocolate (I used Ghirardelli baking bars), chocolate chips may be used, but will not melt the same; you will still get a gooey cake, but not nearly as lava-y as you will using a chopped chocolate bar.
How to Make Individual Chocolate Lava Cakes
Preheat oven to 425° and prep 4 6 oz ramekins*. Using spray oil; spray ramekins well and then dust using unsweetened cocoa powder. I used oven safe, 8 oz ramekins.
*If not using ramekins, spray a 6 cup muffin tin or 6 out of 12 count muffin tin and dust with cocoa powder.
TFC PRO TIP | Place on parchment lined quarter sheet pan, for easy baking, removal and clean-up.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKES
With just 10 minutes of prep, you will have this decadent molten lava cake recipe on the table.
- If batter is slightly lumpy, gently whisk out lumps, do not over mix
- Scoop or spoon batter into prepared ramekins evenly
- Place filled ramekins on quarter sheet pan
- Bake for 12-14 minutes* until sides are solid (dull looking) and centers are soft and glossy.
*If baking in muffin tin, bake only 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool for one minute, then invert (using a hot pad) the ramekin onto the plate, jiggling and tapping to get it to release.
- Serve immediately. If desired, serve with a scoop of your favorite vanilla or chocolate ice cream and a squeeze of chocolate.
Look at that ooey-gooey lava like mess! You may need a fork and a spoon for this dessert!
High Altitude Adjustments for Molten Lava Cake Recipe
I did not have to adjust any ingredients for high altitude on this recipe, but do watch the baking time, high altitude will require less time, I baked for about 12-13 minutes tops!
Can I Make Easy Molten Cakes Gluten & Dairy Free
Absolutely! I recently held a cooking class (virtually) making these delicious lava cakes and several were dairy and gluten free. Here’s what to do:
- DAIRY FREE | Substitute butter with equal amounts of coconut oil and of course make sure your chocolate is dairy free.
- GLUTEN FREE | Replace the small amount of all-purpose flour with equal amounts of gluten free all-purpose flour
More satisfying chocolate recipes!
Be sure to visit the blog for other amazing dessert recipes. Just google The Fresh Cooky!
Easy Lava Cake Recipe
- unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
- 6 oz high quality semi-sweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli 4 oz bittersweet 60% and 2 oz semi-sweet), rough chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, I used organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, fine
- 2 large eggs, room temp if possible
- 2 large egg yolks, room temp if possible
- Using spray oil, spray four ramekins (6 or 8 oz size) well with baking spray.
- Dust ramekins with cocoa powder, turning until entire ramekin is dusted in cocoa powder. Or spray and dust 6 cups in a 12 cup muffin tin. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Coarsely chop chocolate and cold butter. Place butter first in medium microwave safe bowl, then place chopped chocolate on top. Heat in 30 seconds, stir well, then another 30 seconds, stirring really well.
- If another heating is needed, heat for 20 seconds and stir until melted until completely smooth. Set aside and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes while prepping rest of ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, powdered sugar and salt together. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, crack 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks, whisk until thick and combined.
- Pour flour/sugar mixture along with eggs into the bowl of chocolate and stir gently until smooth. If needed, use whisk and gently whisk until smooth. The batter will be thick!
- Pour or spoon batter into prepared ramekins or muffin* tins evenly. Place ramekins onto a baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes until sides are solid (dull) and centers are soft (glossy). If baking in muffin tins, only bake 8-10 minutes.
- Can I Use Chocolate Chips?
- Chocolate chips may be used, they will not yield quite as gooey of center as chopped chocolate will, but they work nicely in a pinch. If using chocolate chips, splurge for high quality chocolate chips.
- Can I Make Chocolate Lava Cakes ahead of time and or freeze baked cakes?
- Make up the batter ahead of time, store in fridge and when ready, pour or spoon the batter into prepared ramekins* and bake according to directions.