These cookies are delicious and look absolutely stunning. They really do stand out and keep well too. I love brining these out when we have guests and need something last minute. They freeze well and only take around 15 minutes to defrost. The recipe is very straightforward and easy to follow, no need for special ingredients and it always comes out great! I love adding in the cornstarch as it gets the mixture extra shiny and extra thick - it's the secret to my success! Everyone needs a classic chocolate cookie recipe and this has got to be mine, and sit should be yours too!
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (+ more for sprinkling)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.25 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil sugar and vanilla extract. Add in the egg and stir until well incorporated.
- Next, add in the flour, cocoa, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough in 1 tablespoon amounts and roll them into a ball, place them on the cookie sheet and press down with the back of a spoon to flatten them. Make sure to leave space in between the cookies for when they expand.
- Sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar on top of each cookie and place them in the oven.
- Bake them for around 7 minutes or until the edges begin to harden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before transferring.