M&M Rice Krispie Treats
These M&M Rice Krispie Treats are a delicious no-bake recipe that features a classic combination of melted marshmallows, chocolate M&M’s, and crispy rice cereal. Perfect for all ages, this easy recipe is made with 4 simple ingredients and is a fun dessert that’s great for parties and potlucks!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
The classic Rice Krispie treats, beloved for their simplicity and irresistible taste, have been a staple dessert for generations. And for good reason. What’s not to love about a chewy cereal bar made with just a few ingredients that don’t require the oven?!!
If you love this timeless favorite, explore a world of flavors by making Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats or Caramel Rice Krispie Treats. And these treats with marshmallow fluff are a must-try for those who want a rich and decadent sweet dessert.
And now you can add these M&M Rice Krispie treats to your homemade marshmallow treat rotation. They have that excellent gooey texture and are the most perfect no-bake dessert you’ll ever make.
⭐️ NEED HELP MEAL PLANNING?? ⭐️
This simple and easy-to-use dinner planner will eliminate dinnertime stress so you’ll never have to wonder what to make for dinner again!
GET THE DINNER PLANNER
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Easy no-bake treats. This recipe comes together with minimal effort and very little time. It’s perfect for when you want a delicious treat without cranking up the hot oven or spending hours in the kitchen.
- Fun and nostalgic. People of all ages love these easy treats, a delightful reminder of childhood that will surely bring a smile to your face.
- Irresistible flavors. The combination of buttery marshmallows, chocolate M&Ms, and crispy cereal creates a delicious balance of sweet, chewy, and crunchy texture that will satisfy your cravings.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this amazing M&M Rice Krispie Treats Recipe:
Rice Krispies cereal: Use classic Rice Krispie cereal to give these treats that structure and base that we all love in homemade Rice Krispie treats. Any brand of crisp rice cereal will work.
Marshmallows: For quick and easy melting, use mini marshmallows to create gooey, sticky, and delicious cereal treats.
M&Ms: Use chocolate mini M&M candies and sprinkle them into the sweet treats and on top for a pop of color and delicious crunch in every bite. You can also use regular-sized M&M’s.
HOW TO MAKE M&M RICE KRISPIE TREATS: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: In a medium saucepan, melt butter and marshmallows over medium-low heat. Stir until the marshmallows are fully melted, and you have a smooth mixture.
Step 2: Pour melted marshmallow mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the M&Ms and cereal. Stir with a rubber spatula or large wooden spoon until the cereal is well-coated.
Step 3: Transfer the mixed cereal mixture into a baking dish, spreading it evenly. If desired, sprinkle additional M&Ms on top of the Rice Krispie treat mixture, pressing them down into the treats.
Set aside and allow to cool for a bit. Then, cut into squares and enjoy.
- Use salted butter. Salt enhances the overall flavor and balances the sweetness of the marshmallows and M&Ms.
- Slow and steady melting. When melting the butter and marshmallows on the stove top, watch the heat and stir regularly to ensure they melt evenly and create a smooth mixture.
- Use a well-greased baking dish. Before starting, generously coat the baking dish (I used a 9×13 inch pan) with butter or non-stick cooking spray to avoid the crispy treats from sticking.
- Use butter for easy handling. Butter your hands and tools to help press the mixture firmly into the dish without sticking.
🌟CONFIDENCE TIP 🌟
For the best flavor, chill the M&M Rice Krispie treats for at least one hour. Doing so will make it easier to cut the treats into perfect squares.
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. After that, it’s best to transfer them to the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
To store individual-size bars, cut them and store them in layers with a sheet of parchment paper or wax paper separating the layers to prevent sticking. You can also wrap individual pieces tightly in plastic wrap to enjoy a perfect treat on-the-go.
- Freezing: These chewy M&M Rice Krispie treats can also be frozen in large freezer-safe bags for up to 2 months. For more details on how to freeze this classic treat, be sure to read my post on Can You Freeze Rice Krispie Treats? When ready to enjoy a piece, let it thaw at room temperature for a few hours first.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Cereal: Sub a few cups of rice cereal with another type like Corn Flakes or Corn Pops.
M&Ms: I like the classic milk chocolate, but try dark chocolate M&M candies or another favorite variety. You can also switch things up and use seasonal M&M candies for specific holidays.
Extra marshmallows: Add a small handful of extra marshmallows to the cereal mixture for a pop of white color.
Chopped nuts: For added crunch, add chopped peanuts or almonds.
Sprinkles: Sprinkle colored sugar or rainbow sprinkles for a decorative and tasty touch.
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
Can I use regular-sized marshmallows instead of mini marshmallows?
Yes, you can use larger marshmallows, but it’s best that you cut them into smaller pieces to ensure they melt evenly. You don’t want the melted marshmallows to burn.How do I prevent the treats from becoming too hard?
Avoid overcooking the marshmallow mixture to prevent the Rice Krispie treats from becoming too hard to eat. Stir until the marshmallows are fully melted, and the mixture is smooth but not much longer. Marshmallows will lose their moisture with heat, so try to limit that.Can I use a different type of chocolate candy instead of M&Ms?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with other small chocolate candies, such as chocolate chips or even chocolate bars chopped into small chunks. Any candy-coated chocolates will work too! Customize the treats according to your preferences and what you have on hand!
GET MY FREE 7-DAY MEAL PLAN
TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
Check out all of my kitchen essentials in my Amazon store!
Give this recipe a star rating! I love your feedback!
TRY THESE NEXT…
M&M Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- 1 cup mini chocolate M&M's + more for sprinkling
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- Prep: Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt: In a medium saucepan, melt butter and marshmallows over medium-low heat. Mix until marshmallows are melted and you have a smooth mixture. Tip: Keep the temperature low and stir often so the marshmallows don't burn.
- Mix: Pour marshmallow mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the M&Ms. Then, add Rice Krispie cereal. Mix with a silicone spatula (or wooden spoon) until all of the cereal is well-coated.
- Transfer: Transfer mixture into prepared 9×13 baking dish. Spread in an even layer. Tip: use a fork or spatula coated with a little butter if the mixture is too sticky to spread easily.
- Sprinkle (optional): Sprinkle on additional M&M's over the top, if you like.
- Cool (optional): Set aside or refrigerate for about an hour. The treats will be easier to cut into squares when cool. When cool, cut into squares and enjoy.
- Nutrition is only an estimate based on the Very Well Fit Nutrition Calculator