Easy Lemon Bars
The happiest, lemony-iest lemon, bestest Lemon Bars you will ever make!
Pucker up, pals! It’s Lemon Bar day!
Pucker up further, these are easy peasy lemon haha squeezy and loaded, loaded I say, with happy lemony goodness.
Honestly, I never thought it possible to find a good lemon bar. Or, I should rephrase — I had yet to find a truly tasty, truly lemony, not packed with copious amounts of sugar….
…Ok, I hadn’t had a good lemon bar until this recipe.
These really truly are the best lemon bars I’ve ever had, and I’ve had plenty of lackluster, limply “lemon” sugar bombs with sad wimpy crusts.
An added bonus with this recipe is that it makes a bunch….what’s a group of lemons called….hmm, I guess they don’t have a name. Right, this recipe results in a 9 x 13 pan of bright joy which means you will hands down be the hero at the next bake sale.
Be sure to swing by The Bake Dept for these and more dessert bars!
The only problem I have with this Lemon Bar recipe, if you can call it a problem, is that I absolutely cannot tear my mind away from these. It is an ongoing battle. Haunted.
I suppose it’s a good thing my husband Mike is not a lemon fan, I’d be baking these far too routinely. Related point, I froze the remainder I hadn’t crammed in my face and they freeze nicely. They’re also good eaten frozen. Ahem.
Right, so these are seriously incredibly simple to make and you only need a scant few ingredients. Happy baking!
Drop on by The Bake Dept for more details on this recipe and for all sorts of other delicious goodies!
Easy Lemon Bars
For the crust:
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter cubed small (2 sticks, 16 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
For the lemon topping:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 2 lemons zested and about 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
- powdered sugar to serve
- Line a 9 x 13 metal baking pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350° F (176° C). If a glass dish is being used instead, preheat the oven to 325° F (162° C).
- In a large bowl, add the crust ingredients and with a pastry cutter, blend until the butter is pea-sized. A food processor can be used as well; be judicious so as to not over-process.
- Dump the crust ingredients into the baking pan, spread it evenly, and press it in firmly. Par-bake the crust for 20 minutes.
- Zest and juice the lemons then finely chop the zest.
- About halfway through the crust baking, whisk the lemon topping ingredients, the sugar, eggs, lemon juice and zest, thoroughly in a medium bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven, thoroughly whisk the lemon topping ingredients to mix completely, then pour over the shortbread crust. Carefully move the pan back into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the topping is set and browning along the edges is seen.
- Cool the bars in the pan completely. Cut to serve and sprinkle with powdered sugar.