When you need something that has ooey-gooey goodness, you need to make these Caramelitas!
This dessert will bring you back. Filled with chocolate, caramel, and coconut, along with a crispy, crunchy, flakey crust, it's a match made in heaven. There is something about the balance of coconut with the caramel, along with the crust that takes this dessert overboard. Might be a bit of a mess in the kitchen afterwards, but that's what dishwashers are for, right?
It's a perfect item for a potluck since most people will want to share. Our recommendation is to make 2 batches so that you can put one in the freezer for your next late night snack!
For the batter
- ¾ cup unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ¾ cup tightly packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the filling/topping
- 25 caramels unwrapped (We used chocolate caramels. Please use whatever you can find!)
- 6 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8x8 baking pan parchment paper.
- Combine melted butter and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Prepare your dry ingredients by stirring together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt until well-combined.
- Add butter and stir until ingredients are combined.
- Press half of your oat/butter mixture evenly into the bottom of your prepared pan and bake for 8-10 minutes (until just lightly golden).
- Meanwhile, prepare your caramel filling by combining unwrapped caramels and heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir frequently until caramel is completely melted and mixture is smooth, then remove from heat.
- Once your first layer of the Carmelita is finished baking, remove from the oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.
- Pour caramel evenly over chocolate chips, and then scatter remaining oat mixture over the top of the caramel.
- Top the mixture with shredded coconut.
- Return to oven and bake for another 18-21 minutes or until top is golden brown. Allow to cool completely, at least 1-2 hours, before removing from the pan and cutting and serving. They also taste delicious after being refrigerated!