I'm not a fan of apple pie but boy oh boy did that change my mood when I made this apple pie! I tried making this and for the third time I knew what the secret is for the best apple pie! I'm sure you would want to have it this coming Thanksgiving!
Scrumptious Apple Pie
I told myself apple pie would be the least of my favorites. I guess I was wrong!!! I made apple pie for a taste test just for the sake of bringing it to a Thanksgiving potluck dinner.
I tried different recipes as I would normally do but then I also love tweaking the recipes! So here I have made the best apple pie I have ever tasted!
Don't take my word for it, give this a try and see it for yourself! Happy Thanksgiving!
Scrumptious Apple Pie
- 2 Store-bought pie crust
- 4 to 5 large apples (I used gala and granny smith)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
For the crust
- Preheat oven to 425F. I would suggest to blind bake the crust. It would make so much difference so you won't end up having a chewy or hard crust.
- To blind bake, make sure to follow the instructions on the store-bought pie crust. Grease a pie plate (I prefer using metal) and set down the bottom pie crust. Make sure to pat it down to make sure there's no air and lies flat on the plate. Use fork to make some indentations to prevent the crust from forming air bubbles. Grease the inside crust and put on an aluminum foil and uncooked rice on top of it. Bake for 20mins.
For the filling
- While the crust is baking, start preparing you filling. Peel and core the apples and slice thinly. Put it in water with 2tbsp of lemon juice to avoid browning.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients until fully incorporated. Then add 2tbsp of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.
- Rinse the apples and toss it in the mixture until it's fully coated. Turn down the oven to 375F. Place the filling into the cooled semi-baked crust and set the other crust over the top. Cut slits on top to allow air to vent out. Whisk the egg and brush over the crust. Bake for about 50-55 mins.
- Allow to cool down before serving. Top it with your favorite ice cream!