Bacon Cheddar Puffs
We have always been big on appetizers in our family. Not only do we enjoy them when we have guests over, but we also like to make a fun 'appetizers for dinner' night every once in awhile. When we do this we enjoy trying new and delicous app recipes. Some are a bit more involved than others, like these Bacon Cheddar Puffs, but they truly are so worth it! These puffs are exactly that. Light and fluffy, and are filled with bits of bacon and the creaminess of cheddar cheese! They are also very versatile because you can substitute whatever cheese you have on hand, and if you're not a fan of bacon, you can add in sausage, turkey or whatever meat option you prefer!
Since there are a few extra steps to make these delicious puffs, I usually make my bacon ahead of time.
To save myself the mess, I just put the bacon on a baking rack and place it in the oven.
I like to serve these bite size yummies right out of the oven, but you can also freeze them so you always have some on hand!
Bacon Cheddar Puffs
Ingredients for Bacon Cheddar Puffs
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup white cheddar shredded
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
To make the Puffs
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine water and butter in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and melt butter.
- Add in the flour. Stir vigorously until the mixture forms a ball and separates from the side of the pan. Lower heat and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove dough from the pan and place it in a stand mixer or another bowl. Allow the dough to cool slightly.
- Slowly Beat in eggs one at a time and until each is just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Fold in garlic and onion powder. Crumble the bacon and fold that and the cheese into the dough.
- Using a Tablespoon scoop dough onto a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix the eggs in one at a time and only until incorporated.
- The dough should be warm but not hot before adding the eggs to avoid 'cooking' the eggs.