Peach Upside-Down Cake
Peach Upside-Down Cake is August. Peach Upside-Down Cake is Peaches. Peach Upside-Down Cake is Blueberries. Peach Upside-Down Cake is Summer.
What is this?
You may wonder why there are blueberries in this peach upside-down cake. The answer: I put them there. In the highly unlikely event that you aren't aware, peaches and blueberries are good friends. I would argue, best friends. Add summer to the mix and well, you pretty much have a miracle on your hands. This miracle came about on a hot summer day, in August to be more precise.
I came into the great fortune of some of the biggest, the juiciest, and the most mouthwatering peaches I have ever tasted. The same day, I came into an equal lot of blueberries. Holy summer!
It is not a coincidence that we have put these best friends together, in the same recipe before. A couple of times. Take a look at some of our blueberry and peach dishes that we've featured in the past.
We'll be putting together a few more peach recipes and a few more blueberry recipes, before the last song of summer has been sung. If a few berries end up with the peaches (or vice versa,) do not be surprised. It's my summer. This is my fruit. I'll eat them any way I please. Hope you enjoy! -Dan
Peach Upside-Down Cake
- ▢ 3/4 cup butter softened, divided
- ▢ 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- ▢ 2 cups sliced peeled fresh peaches
- ▢ 3/4 cup sugar
- ▢ 1 egg
- ▢ 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ▢ 1- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ▢ 1- 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- ▢ 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ▢ 1/2 cup milk
- ▢ 1 cup fresh blueberries optional
- Melt ¼ cup butter; pour into an ungreased 9-in. round baking pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Arrange peach slices in single layer over sugar.
- Sprinkle on a few of the optional blueberries, if desired.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Gently fold in (remaining) optional blueberries, if desired.
- Spoon over peaches.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving pl